Fight or Flight? Could a person be morally responsible for a criminals next victim if they had the chance to stop a criminal but choose to be safe and hide or allow the criminals to get away?

If we follow the reasoning of some here we would lock our guns up and hide in our house, calling 911at the slightest bump at the door. :roll_eyes:

ā€œAn unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.ā€
ā€“ Jeff Cooper

4 Likes

Actually, it IS as complicated as it is.

How an individualā€™s personal philosophy says things could be, should be, use to be, or whatever, will not help one bit to deflect the consequences of a justified or unjustified shooting which could have been avoided.

If a person chooses to risk their life, finance, freedom, and family in order to ā€œteach a lessonā€ to some abstract criminal culture imagined to be calculating on the basis of crimestopper anecdotes ā€” well, thatā€™s how those ā€œnatural rightsā€ work. A person has a right to attempt any old thing ā€” legal or illegal, smart or not-so-smart. Awkwardly, ā€œrightsā€ do not prevent consequences.

I think a person may address FEAR in other ways:
ā€¢ forget about consequences, and act based on philosophy, or
ā€¢ consider consequences, and act based on plausible outcomes.

1 Like

A person with a brain is never unarmed.
A person who uses their brain is never disarmed.
ā€“ unknown

He who fights and runs away
May live to fight another day;
But he who is battle slain
Can never rise to fight again.
ā€“ Oliver Goldsmith, 1761

The man who runs away may fight again.
ā€“ Demosthenes, 338 B.C.

1 Like

Itā€™s really not as complicated as the legal system likes it to be. In that guys case he was acquitted! So essentially he had to be financially punished for doing the right thing. Your definitions of fear arenā€™t acronyms! Whatā€™s up with that!? If you seriously canā€™t understand where Iā€™m coming from by now weā€™ll have to agree to disagree. I appreciate your position and understand that you think being safest is the best course of action. This is where we disagree. I still think it emboldens criminals to be criminals and legal systems to make more restrictions essentially making the whole world(this country) a less safe place to be. Always remember that fear has at least(:rofl:) two meanings:
Forget Everything And Run or
Face Everything And Rise!

1 Like

Wow! Itā€™s like this thread has been shocked back to life! I love it!! The scenario with the boy is tragic and so sad! And rare!! Bad stuff does happen and nothing can stop that. Say the kid enters and the man doesnā€™t have a gun so he uses an aluminum bat instead. Is it the bats fault, the guyā€™s fault, the kidā€™s fault, or the alcoholā€™s fault? Iā€™m more inclined to blame the alcohol or the person who got the kid alcohol. That guy was going to defend himself either way and he canā€™t be blamed for that.
Fear has two meanings:
Face Everything And Rise

1 Like

From the autobiography of one of the founders: ā€œWe [Benjamin Franklin and Great Awakening evangelist George Whitfield] had no religious connection. He usā€™d, indeed, sometimes to pray for my conversion, but never had the satisfaction of believing that his prayers were heard. Ours was a mere civil friendship, sincere on both sides, and lasted to his deathā€ (page 29 in my copy.)

Franklins says much about God in his autobiography. He never mentions the name of Christ or of Jesus.

Thomas Jefferson cut out the portions of the Bible that he didnā€™t like.

Iā€™ve not studied the others. Maybe these were the one or two exceptions to which you were referring.

What is confusing is that the founders were deists. They talked a lot about God. But talking about God does not make them Christians (Matthew 7:21-23). Iā€™m not saying some of them werenā€™t Christians.

I also donā€™t mean to take the thread off topic.

3 Likes

Franklin was obviously not a Christian. He claims in his autobiography to be unconverted. He had a self-made plan for moral perfection. He apparently didnā€™t need Christianity because he could perfect himself. Your point is very well made.

3 Likes

What the hell does that have to do with any of this!?!:rofl::joy::rofl: Always Remember fear has two meanings:
Face Everything And Rise

No. Iā€™m not getting sucked into an inane conversation, I was giving @Elitesless some moral support. :upside_down_face:
As he said more fearmongering. :exploding_head: Bye.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s because to do otherwise will void your policy and we wonā€™t get our money back. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

This + 100.

My concern with the ā€œstand your groundā€ language is whether or not standing your ground is the best tactical choice for the safety of the defender and/or anyone he is defending. The best tactic for the occasion may be standing your ground, ā€œretreating,ā€ or advancing depending on the situation.

There is another legal defense company that has a podcast featuring a very accomplished trainer. I believe the term he uses is ā€œtactical withdrawal.ā€ I like your term better. (Iā€™m not linking to it out of deference to the USCCA and because I couldnā€™t immediately find it).

I also recall this article from the USCCA magazine. It likens shooting someone to a hypothetical scenario where you have one and only one magic pill that can get you out of a jam. When do you take it? For me the answer is only if I have no other option whereby to save my life, a family memberā€™s life, or a very narrow group of other people.

2 Likes

Also, because to follow that advice will provide the individual member and loved ones the greatest opportunity to avoid the very real hazards of death, injury, imprisonment, financial ruin, forfeit of rights, psychological distress, messing the carpet, etc, etc. But, hey, if spanking some (maybe) bad boy for the (hypothetical) benefit of society is your thing ā€” best of luck.

1 Like

There was a discussion by one of the posters saying the founding fathers with one or two exceptions were Christians. Seemed relevant to that incorrect assertion.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think that the legal system ā€œlikes to beā€ anything. The legal system IS what ā€œweā€ have caused or allowed it to be. In the case of financial ruin brought on by a successful defense, that IS a predictable hazard associated with self/stuff defense. The legal system will be perfectly satisfied to ā€œlikeā€ something else if and when ā€œweā€ change the players and the rules. Acting otherwise seems folly to me.

I understand your philosophical desire for things to be other than they are, I just donā€™t think drawing lines in the sand as you propose will move the ball a meaningful amount in a positive direction. Sorry about the acronyms ā€” I need to conserve my mental energy for all this heavy typing. :wink:

1 Like

I forgave you almost immediately!:rofl: Of course I disagree with you. I do think if we start training people to not be afraid to flex their rights the system as a whole will naturally begin to change their expectations of people. From the judicial system to the criminals. I think we can agree to disagree and thatā€™s ok. I think Iā€™ve made some great points that are hard to argue because the truth is like a lion, you donā€™t have to really defend it you just need to let it free and it will defend itself. Again, always remember that fear has at least two meanings:
Face Everything And Rise

2 Likes

The ā€œStand your Groundā€ (SYG) law is a tenet that removes Duty to Retreat before defending reasonable and justified. Prior to that, one was required to flee even oneā€™s own home before legally be ā€œallowedā€ to defend oneself. SYG does not state one is not allowed to flee, it only makes a reasonable defense justified.

Duty to Retreat did provide for when one was not able to flee. Unfortunately, it put the burden of proof on the victim that one was not able to flee. Hence the reason the law was changed in states that have SYG so that you were no longer required to prove that you were not able to retreat. As you noted, each scenario is different and should/does require different actions. SYG provides for those options that Duty to Retreat did not.

1 Like

If I understand correctly, you believe that if we shift from stating that you should not have been there, to the criminal should not have been there, or the criminal should not have committed his illegal act, then the narrative will change to where we believe defending oneself is morally just, not an act that should be prosecuted, with the victim monetarily punished and threatened with prison time merely for justified self-defense.

2 Likes

Ah, yes. And I have perfectly laid out the factual bases supporting my position. :rofl:
Guess itā€™s up to demoi now.

1 Like

I donā€™t see where they would have a say in my inalienable RKBA, nor in a justified self-defense. A jury might, though, depending on the prosecutor - one that seeks to punish moral behavior.

1 Like

Well, sure ā€” RKBA is a thing, assuming we can keep it. But ā€œtheyā€ will decide whether ā€œyourā€ use of force was in fact justified self-defense ā€” not you.

Demoi is where the jury will come from. And the attorneys. And the judges. And the legislators who produce the laws all the players are to apply to ā€œyourā€ situation. And from whom all those players receive their delegations of authority and oversight. Demos is a supposed to be a pretty big deal in a democracy.

1 Like