Fake ammo

Do you know or think reloaders are making ammo then putting it well known manufacturers boxes.

I hope not! Why do you think they are?

2 Likes

Are you suspect of certain reloaders or just asking a general question?
With the limited supply of components I am sure if someone can make a dollar they will try.

Larry

2 Likes

I don’t doubt it, no different then Fake News, Fake Elections, Fake Votes and Fake Presidents!!! :thinking: :wink:
If you are buying from a reputable dealer, why would you even think that??? Wait!!! More fake news…

4 Likes

general question. I am looking on an auction site and I see all types of ammo for sale. One of the boxes looked open so it made me wonder.

general question. I am looking on an auction site and I see all types of ammo for sale. One of the boxes looked open so it made me wonder.

That would be intetesting. Never knew of a site like that for ammo. I’d also worry about a scam where you receive nothing & lose your funds…

Check the person’s feedback for similar items and verify that the feedback came from people that have left feedback for other sellers.

1 Like

The website will help you out if you have an issue with a seller.

I have only heard of that happening at gun shows with rifle ammunition sold in bulk(large plastic bag).
A guy at the county range bought 200 rounds of .308, each one was a dud.

1 Like

Reloading is something generally done for one’s self, or possibly a range, where the reloads are expected to be used there at the range. I would never recommend buying reloaded ammunition. If you know much about it, reloading has too many variables, a load perfectly safe in one gun, may be way over pressure in another, it even happens with factory ammo on rare occasion. I personally question the source of my ammo as much as I do the ammo it self, for this very reason.

1 Like

I’ve bought reloads by the bag before but I knew they were reloads. Times like this bring out the schemers I am trying to be careful.

2 Likes

I’m glad I stocked up the last 3 years. I listened when people kept saying “these are the good old days”. I’ve still been buying throughout this year, but only direct from Federal, and advanced tactical (Armscor), their purchase limits have varied from 2-5 boxes. Shipping times have varied from 5 days to 3 weeks.

It’s probably too much to ask. But if we stopped buying from flippers, and those looking to make a buck. They’d stop cleaning out retailers and distributors.

3 Likes

If I remember correctly reloading for resale requires a license from the ATF to be legal. I reload for myself but not for anyone else. I have let coworkers use my equipment while watching them.
With the price of ammo right now there could be people that might have some old box’s there just trying to cash in on. I would still be cautious of them.
There is a site ammoseek.com company’s post what they have and price. When you click on a selection it takes to the company’s site. Only items in stock are posted.

3 Likes

It’s getting to the point where I reload to practice, saving the factory for carry or hunting, etc. I will occasionally load for a close friends rifle, but only because I can have the rifle for testing of loads and measuring dimensions. I have two guns of identical caliber where a round loaded for the one, will not even fully chamber in the other! That’s how different internal dimensions can be between guns of identical caliber and type. It’s part of why factory ammo can only be made just so good, it has to be safe in ANY gun out there! That’s a pretty tall order sometimes!

It’s also why you can’t just go by ammo, even factory, and just assume it will work in your gun - It won’t always, you must test it in YOUR gun before you know for sure.

2 Likes

I have found over the years some calibers are more difficult to load than others. 30 carbine comes to mind, round fit cartridge gauge just fine. One carbine no problem the other required a slight tap on bolt to close.
A seller should state if ammo is factory or reloaded.
And there are some brands I will no longer buy even if available.
Just remember buyer beware!

1 Like