Explanation on grain types

Mine has its own pillow next to minešŸ¤£

3 Likes

Hereā€™s an article discussing grain types. It goes over grains with handguns vs. rifles.

I was most interested in the affect on recoil. My humble impression, was that it might depend on lots of other factors. Iā€™ll look in our online community for the subject heading on recoil and ask about it there:

2 Likes

Every time I see this topic, I keep thinking it is going to explain the differences between barley and other grains, such as oat, wheat and rye and their use in production of quality beverages. :rofl:

The next thought is on the actual types of powder, not bullet weights.

8 Likes

Talcum or baking powder?

2 Likes

Yeah, no, that is not what I think of in relation to cartridges. More like burn rates and physical characteristics, such as ball, flake, stick, etc.

2 Likes

Oh, I know. I was thinking more as an accompaniment to barley and other ā€œgrains.ā€ :wink:

1 Like

Definitely a solid high-wheat bourbon with a little rye and barley.

On a more serious note, anybody see any ballistics on the 124-grains Federal Punch? Curious how itā€™s different than HST.

2 Likes

@Jason148 Here you go.

2 Likes

Mine will be here tomorrow, Iā€™ll see how my 1911 likes them :wink:

1 Like

Nice, thanks!

2 Likes

Paul Harrell disagrees with that statement.

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen that video and still have mixed feelings.
Local Police uses the stuff that works so the advantage is I donā€™t need to test the ammo.
But these days Iā€™m counting in FBI ballistic tests and using what seems to be working best for me, depending on the season.
To be honest this decision was made after another Paul Harrellā€™s video, where he tested different HP ammo penetration through garment layers.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Anything below 115 grains has a hard time going through thick clothing. For northern people just using 124 grain +p is preferable. If you want to run quietly use 140+ grains to be subsonic. Watch Military Arms Channels testing of defensive 9mm for a great example.

3 Likes