EVs failing?

Electric cars are great! Until the battery dies and you need a charge, they catch fire, the batteries need replacement, your taking a long trip, try to tow a trailer, gets recalled, needs what was at one time a simple repair, needs tires replaced much more often, charger doesn’t match up, charger works slow or is out of order or when they start shutting them off, start charging a confiscatory mileage tax, or start odd even home charging days.

9 Likes

Did I hear somewhere that Tesla was shutting down cars because they hadn’t serviced/replaced the batteries on schedule?

4 Likes

Yes, supposedly…

7 Likes

If you have a Tesla Roof, it makes sense to have a Tesla car for in town driving. Otherwise, having a Tesla is a national security risk. See California, where there isn’t enough electricity to charge everyone’s car and threatens to collapse the grid.

That said, electric vehicles are not green, given the nasty bit of mining that has to be done for those all-important batteries. Solar panels really aren’t either when you come right down to it. They also tend to not last very long and production starts dropping off noticeably after about a year.

On the other hand, the Tesla Roof looks very interesting to me. It’s supposed to last for twenty years, and if it lives up to the hype, it’s the first solar anything that I think is worth having. I’m interested, not for any supposed “green” benefits, but for cost savings. I make it a habit not to worry about the Earth. It’s tough, and able to take care of itself. That’s built into it.

6 Likes

Facts on all of this are readily available, and they’re all great news for the future.

You guys are really funny. These are some seriously inaccurate posts. Do some research instead of reposting things you read and agree with…unemcumbered by facts. That’s precisely how we’re in the political climate we’re in…

I used your data. Thanks.

2 Likes

What, specifically, is inaccurate?

4 Likes

Your inaccuracies… :sunglasses:

3 Likes

:sweat_smile: :rofl: :sweat_smile: :rofl: :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::crazy_face:

5 Likes

One of the benefits of an EV is that reduces the enrichment of folks like the Saudi royal family. For that reason alone, folks should buy one and replace their gas-guzzlers.

2 Likes

Years ago, I walked into the office of an engineer that was in his middle 70’s. I sat down and said “I can’t believe they are starting to use Plastic for car body parts”. Being an old but very practical experienced engineer he responded “Why can’t you believe it? It’s the right material for the right application, it’s actually pretty smart”. So batteries and Electric motors, for some application, are the right materials for the right job.

1 Like

Would a Positronic Emissions Tomography help one win a Three Card Monte game?
LOL, you are proposing a technical solution to what actually is a scam! Run scammers out of town, commence scientific study, then you will know what problem you are trying to solve!

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s a scam that there is a lot of CO2 in the atmosphere. The reason for it may be, but if we can actually take CO2 out of the atmosphere, i.e. help the trees a little :wink: then that woukd be a better answer than thinking we can solve that with EVs. The science behind “global warming” and what will happen if the arctic ice melts is, paradoxically, that Europe and most of North America will experience an ice age…go figure that one out.

1 Like

If you emit 100 parts of CO2 in the atmosphere, within a year the Ocean will take 99 parts, and only 1 part will remain. What is it you want to harvest?

The notion that there is too much CO2 from humans, or that anything is wrong with the climate is exactly a scam, there is strong scientific evidence against it.

The consequence of terraforming, harvesting CO2, spraying aerosols on polar caps, sending sunshade into orbit are completely not understood. This is surely the stuff that can cause global catastrophe, thanks to madness of Gil Bates or whatever his name.

3 Likes

Car companies are going EV because it will allow them to get rid of most of their employees and suppliers. What is their #1 expense? People. With no engine and transmission to validate you get rid of about 3000 moving parts and overall an EV is a simpler machine. They’ll be leaner companies and make more profit.

4 Likes

Climate changes. It’s what it does. Everything natural exists in a cycle, and climate is no different. The only places climate doesn’t change is in dead places with no atmosphere. Fossils show us the world has been much warmer, as well as much colder. In fact, the last time we experienced global warming, Europe entered the Renaissance, leaving the Dark Ages because the increased temperature brought increased rain, which led to increased food production.

4 Likes

So then EVs are a scam as it relates to CO2 and global warming. Got it. :blush:

3 Likes

Finding facts about anything these days is hard. Thank you, Al Gore’s Internet. But you can do it. And some of it even comes from the energy industry. The pendelum always swings too far one way or the other. Our best bet is to have multiple sources for fuel and energy, but the current administration isn’t built for multi anything…just like their single topic voters get taken to teh cleaners by being held hostage on everything but their single topic.

A few mishmash sites, if anyone is really that interested:

If you want to know the facts, follow Elon, perhaps on Teslarati.
An old one. Joe Rogan - Elon Musk on the Future of Fossil Fuel - YouTube