Everyday Carry List

An IFAK typically needs to be portable enough to carry on you at all times. Think about your ABCs. The NPA covers your airway in the event someone is unconscious and cant maintain a clear airway (the benefit to the NPA is it won’t affect an intact gage reflex). Breathing is CPR as well as things like chest seals for sucking chest wounds that affect the lungs, Circulation is where bleeding control comes in. Tourniquets are the fastest, easiest form of bleeding control. Also know when and where you can wound pack for situations where you cant use a tourniquet. I always keep a much larger bag in my van with enough to treat more then 1 person but its impractical to carry around all of the time.

4 Likes

Right. I knew that the IFAK was for treating mainly a single person.
Though when I was showed how to use a tourniquet I was told that they shouldn’t be used often because you have to put the date and time and if they’ve been on too long that they limb is no longer good. But I guess it’d have to be on for a really long time to lose the limb… My first aid experience is quite limited as it is so I dearly hope to expand upon it. And I have a starting point thanks to you.

3 Likes

No problem. I wish everyone that carried had medical training to go with it. I know quite a few people that carry with the mentality of “I carry so I won’t get shot” with all probability to the contrary. The best way I ever had it put to me was my CCW instructor who told us that if we could make holes we should know how to plug holes. With tourniquets time is a factor and yes you can lose a limb from prolonged use, however you can bleed to death much faster.

3 Likes

This is all true. I wish my CCW instructor had mentioned that considering he fought in Vietnam for a short time before he lost a good portion of his unit or maybe it was his squad… :thinking:
Anyways, that’s an excellent way to put it. My mentality used to be that I carried so I wouldn’t become a victim and die. Now I’m glad to learn more of the medical side.
Thank you @Dawn for inviting me to this community. I figured I’d be learning more than I’d be sharing. :smiley: I don’t think I would’ve ever really thought of the info @Andrew has presented had I not been apart of this community.

5 Likes

Thank you for the compliment. And I agree thank you @Dawn for this opportunity to share with like minded people.

4 Likes

Wow!! Great conversation here! So glad you are all able to share and learn from each other!

Since hearing about the Community I’ve wanted to be a part of it. I was very involved in the Social Care team and wished there was a way to have these open conversations on social media without those who want to argue for the sake of arguing.

This conversation is exactly what I was hoping to see!

7 Likes

The fire hose pants are ridiculously durable… if you get the ones with the Velcro straps at the side, you can have a extra attachment point for a battle belt. But the stretchy fire hose pants are very durable aswell…

3 Likes

Unfortunately the only ones I know of that are in my size would be the everyday firehose cargo work pants.
But they already have many pockets. Including one inside the waistband. gotta figure out what I want to put in that one though.

2 Likes

And Dawn, they make a excellent ladies line… my wife loves them, but she does comment that they feel super tight around the butt when she carries her knife in SOB position

3 Likes

They’re actually comfortable on me when I put a gun in my waistband. I’ll have to use a pocket carry mag holster because I won’t be able to fit a mag holster inside my waistband as well as a gun. Too little room since I ordered the size waist that I normally am since I’m going to be wearing them everyday. With and without a gun.

2 Likes

I’ve heard some people say order a size up or two to accommodate an IWB holster but is that really necessary?

2 Likes

If you have the cargo pocket variants, the small outer pockets work great for mags…

2 Likes

They do. But what do you use the small pocket inside the waistband on the left front part of the pants?

2 Likes

Normally my multitool

2 Likes

Should have added, sometimes my karambit

2 Likes

How do you get to it though if it’s literally inside your waistband? At least for me it’s difficult to get anything from there if I ever had to store one. Unless it sticks up enough for you to grab it…

2 Likes

It sticks up a bit, but I use that as a hide point for it instead of having it near my mags and having metal planking about with every step

3 Likes

Good to know! Thanks @Tankrachet86!

2 Likes

Has anyone thought about a derringer for a pocket gun instead of a revolver? At least as a way to buy you some time to draw your primary handgun if you have the need to?
Also can’t the amount of gear you have be used against you to make it look like you’re looking for trouble or something? Just something I thought of because it seems like there’s always something for EDC.

2 Likes

I know a few people that have them from .22lr to 45-70 and they are great for deep concealment. My only problem with them is the 2 rounds instead of 5. As far as the gear you carry counting against you, I think it’s more about what you carry not how much you carry.

4 Likes