Escaping a Rear Naked Choke | Into the Fray - USCCA

While I’m not a huge fan of using a knife for personal defense, there is one time when I think it really is the best option. That is when you are defending yourself against something like a rear naked choke. And truly, using a small, fixed-blade knife as opposed to a tactical folding knife is the best way to go.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/escaping-a-rear-naked-choke/
4 Likes
5 Likes

This is why I carry my 2 Kerambit daggers. Plus I DO know where the arteries, tendons, and other critical structures are like how to cut that arm so that he can’t hold that rear naked choke.

1 Like

The one thing that is NEVER stressed enough is if you ever grab your knife, you must use a death grip and hold it so tight they must pry it from your cold dead fingers. If there is ever a time you pull a knife in self defense, that is not the time to hold it lose!!!

2 Likes

This is hilarious, and a good reminder of our options. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

This is one reason I use dagger style Kerambits, I can cut using either side and the ring anchors it in my hand.

Knife fighters kill you with the edge so you actually keep a loosish grip because angles change. Holding onto it for dear life is when you are stabbing because muscles tend to contract very hard and you may lose your knife that way.

2 Likes

Thank you for showing how to escape from choking, just grab the knife and hit the legs, then take off and call 911 immediately. And thank you for closed captioning

1 Like

Hi Zavier, I have seen a person holding a knife trying to fend off someone with a three finger grip (between the thumb, index and middle finger) When my partner and I rolled up on a call once. I’m sorry but one good kick and that knife would go flying. Also it is unfortunite but some jurisdictions forbid a two sided blade, I think the entire state of NJ is one of them. Soooooo your favorite blade might not be what you can carry. I would like a small single edged Karambit fixed blade if I could find one.

2 Likes

Laws change as you move from state to state. A great resource for knowing a states knives law is wwwDOTknifeupDOTcom.

Alabama forbids single edged blades from butter knife to machete. However you can carry as big a dagger as you like. I use Kerambits because I am comfortable with them.

This is my current EDC

3 Likes

Zavier, It looks like your well prepared and i feel confident that you train regularly. I liked this segment as it relates to most common people whom dont think they will ever face this situation. Its people like you and I who are watchful that these predators stay clear of. I was impressed with the simple explanation and techniques of how to free yourself and it was easy to explain when i showed my family. Thank you all for your training.

1 Like

Zavier Wick…John’s less famous brother :thinking:

That’s a serious EDC setup. Suh-weet!

Welcome to the community @Michael544

I have a learned a lot from the members here. It’s a great place to gain new knowledge and share your own experiences to help others as well.

Thank you for the warm welcome Mr. H. I’m relieved to fing an easy to use place eith common sense strategies and techniques to help my family understand why im always alert. This senario happens more times tha poeple think and shows why we need to be ever vigilant of our surroundings.

1 Like

Virginia requires CCW permit for many concealed knife types and prohibits many others. The Karambit style isn’t explicitly listed. How do you get a reading on whether it is legal or not?