EDC Pistols - Stock or Custom?

#AL34, sounds like where I am, Tennessee

3 Likes

I did not read through all of the posts, so I may be repeating a previously mentioned mind set. but I approach modifications , most of all on an EDC pistol, with a great deal of caution, however, careful modifications to facilitate better handling, accuracy, and ergonomics seems not only reasonable, but even wise.

I avoid any functional modifications to the internals and leave the pistol as stock as possible while making for better accuracy and more reliable handling with careful selected modifications. These are usually limited to magazine options, grip modifications for better fit, or sights. Though I am a hand Loader, I do not carry handloads for EDC, I select the best ammunition choices I know to exist for my caliber and barrel length, and then bear the cost of verifying positive function through my gun as it is to be carried.

My recommendation to someone I was teaching would be to leave customization out of the equation for an EDC except for very practical , functional reasons. I think the unfortunate reality of the environment today is that embellishments to a self defense tool can too easily be made to look like zealousness. Just the sort of thing a hostile anti rights prosecutor would relish using against a defender.

6 Likes

Agree 100 percent @DS-1

3 Likes

I think it was Bernard Gets, he shot 3 people in a subway train in N.Y. Most of the trouble he got in was not having a permit to carry. The gun he used was a 38 cal.
Revolver. He also got the hell sued out of him. One of the perps was crippled. The news called the BULLETS BLACK TALONS and they were banned and illegal to own. :paraguay: :paraguay: :paraguay:

4 Likes

Yes, in free states. I’m behind the iron curtain. :man_shrugging:t4:

5 Likes

@BeanCounter sorry to hear that brother.

4 Likes

Well, since I built all my EDCs, custom I guess.

7 Likes

@DS-1 That’s all I was trying to say, and I agree 100% just like @Johnnyq60 said :+1::us: :us: :us:

4 Likes

Bernhard Goetz shot four teens on a NY subway train. I don’t think he was armed with Black Talon, however. That was a subsequent shooter, Colin Ferguson. This is an interesting opinion piece, even if it’s a bit dated:

4 Likes

I watch Judge Judy for comedy relief, when there’s no interesting true crime programs on. Watch an episode - it’s small claims court, but it’s a head-shaking experience to see the pettiness and extent to which people will go to gain a few hundred dollars. “Judy” suffers no fools and nonsense - I can watch her shows at 11, 3, and 5, M - F. FYI

1 Like

The only thing I do is change the sights, and possible do a flashlight or laser (flashlight/laser combo). I haven’t added any lights yet to any of my firearms yet but I may in the future.

3 Likes

All the theories & opinions about why modifications should not matter, they are in fact just that, theories and opinions. Once you’ve been in court as a defendant, your will realize, the job of the opposing attorney is to win the case for their client, and they will do what it takes to win that case - including attack you and destroy your integrity. Why give them anything that would aid them. I suggest your don’t modify your gun. Sometimes it’s best to saddle your ego and desires.

2 Likes

All of my carry guns are stock with no modifications. In discussions with firearm attorneys the standard recommendation is no modification as an attorney in a civil case (yes, there would be one) will attack based upon the modificaitons.

Our Sheriff concurs and since we are in CA he recommends to carry only 10 rnd reduced mags even if you happen to be grandfathered in to standard capacity. Again - back to the attorney’s and a court case following any shooting.

3 Likes

Reading this, makes me think about a G43X w/ shield arms 15rd mag scenario and how it could be viewed in court. I personally don’t see that a problem, but more than one usually makes a jury. Wouldn’t be surprised to hear a court bring up the “intended manufacture mag & after market mag capacity” topic.

2 Likes

Free State of Jones Mississippi

2 Likes

It’s not about ego and desires.
Modification is to make the tool better, more reliable, more accurate and safer to use.

6 Likes

If you carry a Glock then you’ll need better irons. Aside from that, the only upgrade you actually need is a weapon light. You can’t/shouldn’t shoot what you can’t see.

1 Like

I put an Ambi Safety on one of my 1911’s, being a lefty it made it easier to thumb on/off

3 Likes

I took a custom fitted G34 to GunSite for a week. It was setup for me by our Club’s gun Smith. It crapped out on me the first day. My backup gun was a Walther Q5 match which ran perfectly. I sold the Glock to the Smith. He complains about it too now!
I went back to my Colt 1911 series 70. It has never failed me. I clean it regularly and I keep an eye open for any potential problems. As my eyes age, I will have to do something about the sights. But for now, its factory issue for me. That and lots of training!
“Too many pipes stop up the drain.” That and “keep it simple, stupid!” cover most of my problem solving situations.

3 Likes

Mine are always stock except for adding a night sights if it doesn’t have one already… also no graphics or other illustrations of any type on my EDC…try to be the “Gray Man”,both my person and EDC…don’t want any special attention now or later.

4 Likes