EDC Pistols - Stock or Custom?

Yep. Max 3.

5 Likes

Thought so. A good friend in OC showed me the back of his card with each allowed firearm.

Here in NM, we’re permitted by max caliber and type (revolver/auto), each listed on our card. You can have both, but must qualify accordingly. For example, if you qualify with a 9mm, you can carry a .32, but you can’t carry a .45.

3 Likes

It helped and I thank you sir but as you said they do seems to be very bright.

3 Likes

Legal Liability for Carry Gun Modifications

@Alces_Americanus @Fred_G Interesting information online from an Attorney about EDC modifications, along with a video online also. @G.Washington I think this will answer the question we were talking about take a look.

By Attorney Andrew Branca / February 19, 2020

Can Gun Modifications Be Used Against Me in Court?
Any time anyone asks me “can X be used against me in court,” regardless of what “X” might be, my answer is always “Yes.” That’s because prosecutors have incredibly broad discretion in what they are allowed to argue in court.

It’s true that your defense attorney may be able to convince the trial judge to prohibit a prosecutor from arguing about one issue or another, in which case that issue is no longer available as a legal weapon with which the prosecutor can attack you.

But that decision itself is left to the broad discretion of the trial judge, and you never really know how they’ll rule, allowing the prosecution’s argument, or prohibiting it, until you’re already looking down the barrel of a trial. As a result, we have to be prepared now for that decision to go against us then

YouTube Video Carrying a Modified Hand Gun

YouTube Video from USCCA on Can I Modify My Firearm Gun?: Ask An Attorney

YouTube Video Is it Legal To Modify The Trigger Of My Firearm U.S. LawShield

3 Likes

It’s intent to make war. Or make it seem like you are doing something wrong.
We’re talking about things that they can use to make you look bad. That can also
Include a big Beautiful nasty hollowpoint or segmented bullet ( remember Gets on the subway with the black talon BULLETS ) that were actually banned. Even shooting a perp. in the head is a no no. My friend has a couple of staters he hangs
With and that’s what they tell him.

It gets worse even forensic examination for angle of projectile entry into the body IE : side or or back bullet entry no no.
Not what I think it’s what I’m told 2nd hand from the fuss. :us::us:

4 Likes

@Craig6 Hi Craig if you get a chance take look at a new topic I put out there, it’s under the Concealed Carry catagory, title Legal Liability for Carry Gun Modifications, I think you might get a kick out of it. Have a good one. Al

3 Likes

@BeanCounter In some states you can carry as many guns as you can conceal. A ret. FBI friend of mine used to help with classes and one of the things he would enjoy doing is have the class try and guess how many guns he was carrying on him at the time, he would always have anywhere from 18 to 20 on him (unloaded), then when people would say 4 or 5 he shows the class each one, should have seen the looks on there faces :open_mouth:

4 Likes

That could get you no matter the gun modifications… I will have to look into they guy with the ‘black talons’.

5 Likes

#AL34, sounds like where I am, Tennessee

3 Likes

I did not read through all of the posts, so I may be repeating a previously mentioned mind set. but I approach modifications , most of all on an EDC pistol, with a great deal of caution, however, careful modifications to facilitate better handling, accuracy, and ergonomics seems not only reasonable, but even wise.

I avoid any functional modifications to the internals and leave the pistol as stock as possible while making for better accuracy and more reliable handling with careful selected modifications. These are usually limited to magazine options, grip modifications for better fit, or sights. Though I am a hand Loader, I do not carry handloads for EDC, I select the best ammunition choices I know to exist for my caliber and barrel length, and then bear the cost of verifying positive function through my gun as it is to be carried.

My recommendation to someone I was teaching would be to leave customization out of the equation for an EDC except for very practical , functional reasons. I think the unfortunate reality of the environment today is that embellishments to a self defense tool can too easily be made to look like zealousness. Just the sort of thing a hostile anti rights prosecutor would relish using against a defender.

6 Likes

Agree 100 percent @DS-1

3 Likes

I think it was Bernard Gets, he shot 3 people in a subway train in N.Y. Most of the trouble he got in was not having a permit to carry. The gun he used was a 38 cal.
Revolver. He also got the hell sued out of him. One of the perps was crippled. The news called the BULLETS BLACK TALONS and they were banned and illegal to own. :paraguay: :paraguay: :paraguay:

4 Likes

Yes, in free states. I’m behind the iron curtain. :man_shrugging:t4:

5 Likes

@BeanCounter sorry to hear that brother.

4 Likes

Well, since I built all my EDCs, custom I guess.

7 Likes

@DS-1 That’s all I was trying to say, and I agree 100% just like @Johnnyq60 said :+1::us: :us: :us:

4 Likes

Bernhard Goetz shot four teens on a NY subway train. I don’t think he was armed with Black Talon, however. That was a subsequent shooter, Colin Ferguson. This is an interesting opinion piece, even if it’s a bit dated:

4 Likes

I watch Judge Judy for comedy relief, when there’s no interesting true crime programs on. Watch an episode - it’s small claims court, but it’s a head-shaking experience to see the pettiness and extent to which people will go to gain a few hundred dollars. “Judy” suffers no fools and nonsense - I can watch her shows at 11, 3, and 5, M - F. FYI

1 Like

The only thing I do is change the sights, and possible do a flashlight or laser (flashlight/laser combo). I haven’t added any lights yet to any of my firearms yet but I may in the future.

3 Likes

All the theories & opinions about why modifications should not matter, they are in fact just that, theories and opinions. Once you’ve been in court as a defendant, your will realize, the job of the opposing attorney is to win the case for their client, and they will do what it takes to win that case - including attack you and destroy your integrity. Why give them anything that would aid them. I suggest your don’t modify your gun. Sometimes it’s best to saddle your ego and desires.

2 Likes