EDC-Lights on pistols

I don’t take my home defense guns out, exactly. They are just here. They are often not on my person since I have secured and locked doors and windows, dogs, an alarm, etc to buy a little bit of time when compared to being out in public.

3 Likes

My EDC is my home defense gun. No difference. I usually carry a Glock 19, but occasionally a S&W Shield 9mm.

4 Likes
2 Likes

I am testing the loop on my flashlight. It works pretty good I can get my normal two hand grip without dropping my light. It’s takes some practice.

6 Likes

I have a WML on each of my EDC pistols, but i also carry an EDC flashlight for situations where you “just need a light”. I don’t want to be waving my pistol around when looking for my keys, etc.

The most interesting thing for me from this thread that made me post was all the people saying “if something goes bump in the night in my home, i’m going to use X to search”…

why wouldn’t you just turn the lights on? If i hear something suspicious in the night, i’ll just tell Alexa “let there be light!” and every light inside and outside my home turns on :slight_smile:

8 Likes

As software engineer. Having any kind of voice activated device in my home is a no go. I will leave it at that.

5 Likes

Clap-On, Clap-Off, the Clapper man, use the Clapper ™. :laughing:

I agree 100% with this, but if you’re going to do that you might as well put your cel phones in “faraday” bags while at home, and possibly while out of the home too.

3 Likes

Indeed, speculating on someone’s IoT security posture while undoubtedly carrying a smartphone everyday, and most likely using a mainstream browser to comment on a public internet forum could start a whole other topic about digital security/digital footprint, attack surfaces, etc. :stuck_out_tongue:

Rest assured, as a senior Cyber Security executive for reputedly the world leader in digital security I sleep soundly at night knowing i can turn on every light inside and outside my house with a sentence (So long as I have an internet connection!) :smiley:

5 Likes

But I also disable voice activation on my phone. Lol. I don’t care if you can track me but I do care you can recorded me and have access to turn my lights on and have total control of my home network.

1 Like

VPN is my friend.

2 Likes

Express VPN is what I use not the best but it does the trick.

1 Like

EDC, WML, yes and no, it depends on what im carrying and if im going to be spending more time in low light areas.

This time of year, its getting darker sooner, so I carry with my WML more often and will likely order another one soon…

I have multiple EDC’s depending on the mood or dress, ones I carry or have carried in the last year or so…

38spl revolver snub nose
22 magnum mini revolver
380 LCP2
9mm G2C
9mm Canik Tp9 elite sc
9mm Canik TP9SFX
9mm Canik TP9SFX with TLR1-HL
10mm G40 Holosun green dot with TLR1-HL

The TLR1-HL I swap between platforms but plan on another.

1000 lumen, strobe mode capable, such a high powered light will blind even in low daylight.

Not something that will give you away unless you use a light with low lumens.

Having played paintball for many years, night games with paintball marker mounted lights, you learn what kinds work best when in a battle against others. In general, high powered directional LED lights, strobe mode is ideal, but too high powered a light will cause you harm due to materials reflecting the light back at you. Its no fun when your light is so bright, a tree can blind you back in the woods.

4 Likes

I didn’t have a light on my EDC until I came home one night and my patio door was open. I went in and all of the lights were off and I found myself wishing I had a light. I’ve never looked back.

5 Likes

I would seriously consider a monitored alarm with push notifications so you know before you are potentially face to face with an intruder, and maybe don’t go in. Which is to say, a light on the EDC pistol you now have in your hand is I think a bit down the list of things that would improve that situation

2 Likes

The only question I have is, is it necessary, or is it just for cool points?

1 Like

From all my reading and my conversations with law enforcement and military. The short answer is no. The main reason is most of us don’t go to dark dangerous places. If you have a job at night in a dangerous area having a WML might be good. Big one for me is how many folks really train with their WML? I carry a flashlight that is all I need. Plus I train/take classes for low light conditions.

One topic I will be starting is how much money do we save for training classes.

4 Likes

Exactly. Because to do so would not be applying Prefense. Not being where you don’t need to be. As I have stated that I do as well, but not on my firearm, because it’s just not necessary for me to do so. But again, I respect a person’s decision to if that’s what they feel is needed for them to do.

2 Likes

I have to regularly clean my EDC, because it goes everywhere I go, even if it hasn’t been used. I clean it because of condensation, dirt from camping or hikes, generalized wearing from daily wear.

I’m disabled and, as I write this, it is less than a foot away.

5 Likes

I hit the range as much as I can and clean my EDC religiously… the thing that is bugging me the most right now is dirt and grime getting into my Holosun 507k… I really want to get a closed emitter optic on my EDC, the only option right now though i think is the Holosun EPS Carry and they are like Unicorn tears :frowning:

3 Likes

What I do is correct for me. I carry a separate tactical flashlight. I do not put a light on my EDC for two reasons. First the bad guy can fire at your light and I would rather be able to miss direct his attempt by holding a flashlight away from my body. Secondly if things go bump in the night and I am using my weapons light to discern good guy or bad then I must flag the possible Target with the barrel of my pistol. I’m not comfortable with that especially if it’s a family member in the house unexpectedly.

3 Likes