DUI With a Firearm in the car - Are the Police Different than us?

If you or I get pulled over DUI with a loaded firearm in the vehicle we would automatically be charged with weapons charges, probably, since I know someone going through it right now, Possession of a Firearm While Intoxicated. BUT If you are a cop, you get sited for DUI and the case is turned over to POST, with NO Weapons Charges? I guess we’ll see how it turns out.

6 Likes

There is not much detail, but we can think that he has gun in his trunk… as usually cops keep there stuff.

A lieutenant from the Bountiful Police Department picked up the unmarked vehicle containing police equipment, a gun rack and a loaded assault rifle.

There is a difference when civilian get caught drunk with a gun and LEO get caught with duty tool used for work.
Perhaps I can be wrong about this :point_up_2:… but I usually try to understand both sides before final judgement.

1 Like

Is an intoxicated cop more responsible/safe with a firearm than an intoxicated civilian?

6 Likes

Depends if an acorn hits the roof of his cruiser.

11 Likes

Mostly it depends on where the rifle was…

2 Likes

Are LEOs and civilians different? Apparently not, after all, that cop did not hop out of the car and start shooting up a neighborhood, did he? Just like the vast majority of cops and civilians with guns in their cars, BAC 0.0% level notwithstanding, have not done so, either.

1 Like

Police are known for having firearms close to them. The part where the cop was driving drunk is unacceptable, and I agree with the police officer being charged with a DUI. The AR-15 should have been in the vehicle’s trunk or not in it in general. If this were one of us, we would be locked up, weapons confiscated, and left with a hefty fine to pay. Law enforcement is supposed to be an example of the laws they protect.

4 Likes

Why would that matter? Dudes a cop, drunk, driving a police vehicle. That’s enough to be hauled in. And he has a loaded weapon too? If I were simply hanging with a friend in a bar, drinking only water I’d be arrested and lose my permit. What “other side” needs to be considered?

4 Likes

I saw what you did there… :rofl:

3 Likes

Please do not hang him yet :slightly_smiling_face:
DUI - yes. No doubt.
But weapon charges? It is still too early to determine. We know nothing about that rifle, what we know is the media screaming - LOADED AR15 WHILE DRUNK…