Drinking Alcohol and Carrying Scenario

Don’t. Two things will likely happen if you have a bad day with a firearm and alcohol in any amount. You’ll likely blow in a tube and have a blood draw. Any amount of alcohol, legal limit or not, in your system will open you up for criminal/ civil issues or both. I cover it at length with clients and include it in my class waivers.
If they’re going out I advise them to have a designated driver/ weapon carrier or either stay home/ leave the weapon(s) at home.

3 Likes

Slight rephrase to “May lose your permit” and we are on the same page!

2 Likes

I am with Frank73. Since getting serious about EDC, drinking in any amount or scenario has become a thing of the past. The responsibility of carrying requires complete lucidity.

9 Likes

Welcome Kevin318, I totally agree. Being under the influence while driving or carrying isn’t worth it. Besides affecting your life, the headlines spread across the various media will be used to affect others as well.

3 Likes

So I’m not a lawyer and this isn’t legal advice talk to a lawyer. In Maryland transporting a firearm while under the influence of alcohol is a crime. I would not want to risk up to a year imprison on an expensive lawyers ability being able to argue if the amount of alcohol I consumed constituted under the influence or not.

§ 5-314. Carrying, wearing, or transporting handgun while under influence of alcohol or drugs

(a) Prohibited. – A person who holds a permit may not wear, carry, or transport a handgun while the person is under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

(b) Penalty. – A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 1 year or a fine not exceeding $ 1,000 or both.

6 Likes

Sooo anyone know how many criminals go to jail/prison for caring a firearm? I’m guessing not many due to plea bargaining.

4 Likes

Gave up alcohol 36 years ago. But I can still remember that it was difficult. Tried "moderation " with a thousand built-in excuses why "one more " was ok . This was decades before carrying. It was just about family.

If you decide that’s the way to go; I did, and you may, find that some friends were not supportive. i.e. mocking. Just one more decision, do I really need these people in my life? The answer is not always yes.

Back to your question. Zero is the only acceptable amount of alcohol while carrying. If you are forced to use it, one drink could cost you everything.

p.s. lots of good n.a. beer available these days.

6 Likes

Loose permit might turn out to be a best case scenario.

3 Likes

True enough. But criminals have the key to the secret revolving door that citizens don’t.

And they’ve got nothing to loose while we do.

6 Likes

To my understanding,While carrying in my state it is 0 tolerance. I think what you are doing is the correct protocol. But still check with folks here more in the know. Laws can be a spider web.
I find myself since beginning of carry for me. Drinking became a non issue. I would add use the same rule as with driving. If you drive don’t drink. If you carry don’t drink. I saw the post from some of the brothers and sister from restrictive states. Its alot to go through to loose all because of .001% alcohol.

4 Likes

You learned a valuable lesson my friend!

3 Likes

Wait… you have a concealed carry in Maryland? How did you get that? And, with the gun laws in Maryland, I definitely wouldn’t drink while carrying.

Larry
Howard County, MD

11 Likes

I think @Larry144 has the best question in this whole scenario!

5 Likes

I have to concur with the Old Gnome, if I even think I might have a drink, the gun stays at home in the safe. In my state it would be legal for me to drink while at dinner in a restaurant like O’Charlie’s. But if something stupid happened and I had to defend myself or others, any DA wanting to make a name for themself could say it wasn’t a reasonable response because I had a beer and any alcohol could cloud one’s thoughts. Yes, highly unlikely, but still a possibility. I keep a small bio-metric safe in the Dodge for when I need to go into a gun free zone (doctor’s office or such).

3 Likes

Yes I have MD wear and carry permit. I’d have to kill ya if I told you how :joy:. I’m in Howard county also. Clarksville area.

3 Likes

I limit myself to ONE standard drink if I drive or carry or both. One with a meal is very defensible and will not compromise the normal individual. If you wind up in court for some reason, 2 is “beers” while one is “a beer”.
As for the law on not gun friendly Maryland, check carefully as my understanding of Maryland policy in the cities is: get you if they can.

4 Likes

OK. I have an idea where you work. :dark_sunglasses:

4 Likes

Quit worrying, your ok, just do not start reloading ammo, or cleaning guns…Wait for early morning…believe me.

3 Likes

Carrying or transporting whilst under the influence is a hard NO. Please don’t do it. If you make the commitment to carry then you also have to make the commitment not to drink alcohol. Sorry to sound sensible but, that’s just the way you have to conduct yourself as a responsible gun owner.

5 Likes

Don’t do it. Be responsible.

4 Likes