Dressing Up as Grey Man

During the holidays there are a lot of times when causal just won’t do. You’re expected to wear the best of your Sunday best to church services, to the company Christmas party, to the in-laws for Christmas Day or out for NYE. A lot of us will wear clothes that we rarely wear throughout the year.

What tips do you have for someone who’s new to carrying to be comfortable in their holiday best?

4 Likes

I think that for a guy it EASIER to carry in the trappings of the holidays as you add layers of clothes. I normally would never wear a pull over sweater but will do just that at Christmas and/or Thanksgiving. I spend enough time in sport coats that I am comfortable in them at any time, suits slightly less so. My most difficult time is the summer where I am in pants and shirt sleeves or a polo. That said I am quite happy with the new trend of “Un-Tuckit” type shirts as Hawaiian shirts are now like the “Photographers vests” of the 80’s and 90’s. The Filipino and Puerto Rican “day dress” shirts are still unobtrusive and untucked they are just harder to find.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

The traditional Barong Tagalog (traditional Philippine formal dress shirt) is usually partially see through and made of Banana, Pineapple fiber, etc. I don’t know how those fabrics respond to gun oil or burnt gunpowder, and I’m not sure the best way to clean them.

The younger styles (usually less expensive, made of cheaper materials, and not see through) might be better for CCW. That being said, when I visit the Philippines, most businessman I see on the street wear wool suits. I’ve purchased Barong Tagalog’s for close to $300 US (French designer for one of them) while abroad, but the less expensive, modern styles I see in some shops go for around $30.

2 Likes

@Scotty Thanks for the correct name! I couldn’t remember the first half. It’s been a minute or two since I have been to the PI but in VA Beach there is a fair sized Filipino community. As you might imagine there are more than a few seamstresses in the mix and they can make the traditional shirts in modern fabrics and colors at a very good price for a custom shirt. They also know all the best places for pancit and all the other yummy bits :star_struck:

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Going with @Craig6 on the pullover sweater as a solution for women as well. You can get them in mohair or something with a pattern or a sparkly fiber or sequins that would help break up any printing outline.

3 Likes

I agree with @Craig6. It is much easier in a suit or a sport coat to conceal. That is my everyday attire at court and I’ve only been approached by 1 bailiff to ask if i was carrying. I happened to be leaning over the rail to the jury box talking to a colleague when it happened. Ugly sweaters are usually good for breaking up printing as well.
The one thing to keep in mind, is you cannot take off your coat or sweater. Weddings are where I’ve noticed this the most. It gets hot on a dance floor with jacket on and is equally uncomfortable dancing with an ankle holster. I’ve resorted to a pocket pistol for weddings.
Now, if I was rocking that little black dress, the gun in my bustier would probably be the last thing people talked about. And it is hard to find stilettos in a men’s 12E.

4 Likes

@MikeBKY I think the title was Dressing Up as a GREY Man :rofl::rofl::rofl::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Yeah, weddings are a bit difficult when it comes time for shaking and grooving. I have been tagged once or twice doing the ball room thing when switching partners and her hand goes to my hip. Of course there was the girl of a cousin 3X removed who made a point to let the slit of her dress open enough to see a Stainless Walther PPK with Houge Grips and night sites waaayyyyy up high on her thigh after we sat down. Not that I was looking or anything :innocent::innocent::face_with_monocle:

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

The first young lady I ever remember carrying a concealed weapon was on the El in Philadelphia. This was somewhere between 1981 and 1985. She was sitting across the aisle from me and was wearing a relatively short skirt. My attention was drawn to her constantly pulling down on her skirt as the trolley rocked back and forth. At one point as she was adjusting herself, I noticed the grip of a small revolver in a thigh holster between her legs. Two thoughts went through my head. Wow, that’s hot! And You know where the business end of that thing is pointing!

2 Likes

2 words for the guys, Tuckable Holster. I’m a deacon at church, and we are expected to wear a jacket and tie for ordinations, and The Lord’s Supper. The only part of my rig that is visible, is the clips over my belt. Double stack .45 and all. Make sure you wear pants a little bigger to accommodate the holster, pistol, and tucked in shirt.

For the ladies, around the holidays, the sweater/cardigan look is quite traditional and festive.

2 Likes

So @Zee I guess my sweater in “hunter orange” with the brown shoulder patches for shotgun recoil might be a “tell”?
:thinking::wink:

1 Like

A couple points inspired by the discussion:
My wife ordered a fabric shoulder holster that tightens over the sternum from - https://www.gunnersecurity.com/shop/holsters/left-hand-and-ambidextrous-holsters/womens-concealment-shoulder-holster/

She does not wear a belt or like waist holsters, but wears this when going out and NOT wanting her purse. Carries a snubby .38

As for mens’ shirts, I have found the Guayaberra (similar to the Filipino style) at Blair and have a couple.

A leather vest over my tuck in shirt is just long enough to cover the holster clip on my belt.

3 Likes

@Jim49 welcome to the group! I’ve seen the holster your wife uses but haven’t tried one… not sure how well it would work for my larger EDC but I may get one just to try.

@JamesR YeahNOPE that hunter orange sweater definitely not going to be grey man :laughing:

1 Like

You’d blend right in where I live. Especially with my family.

1 Like

I like looking like the least threatening person in the room.

1 Like

@ Zee. I’d thot her Charter would fit in a SMALL but it was a bit too snug. She LOVES the Medium & carried to Church with it this AM. They don’t make a large.

1 Like