Drawing from the Holster

I do most of my dry fire draw in house, live draw at my range where I am one of a few qualified for draw and fire.

2 Likes

From the beginning.

I practice drawing from a holster every range session which is Pretty frequently. I try to get in one significant range session per week.

2 Likes

That’s a good thing and I wish other ranges were like that at least to test people before allowing them to do so.

2 Likes

@RUGER9 I am with you. Just cancelled my Carryguard membership due to lack of training material and am new with the USCCA. Seeing this forum is a great reminder of some things I need to work on.

5 Likes

I can’t draw at my local range except an hour every other week, by appt. :confused:

I do make time to train my draw, typically during dryfire exercises. With my new laser training system i’ve changed to single shot draws with a reholster and draw between each shot so i’m trending to the weekly training. :slight_smile:

:bullettrain_front: :train::train:

5 Likes

My range doesn’t allow draw from holster (for obvious reasons), BUT thankfully my instructor
is BIG on holster training!

3 Likes

Welcome to the family brother god bless you and glad to have you on board.

2 Likes

I kind of understand why ranges don’t allow drawing from the holster. A lot of people that attend the range are inexperienced and can definitely have negligent discharges. I don’t mind shooting from the bench. But in outdoor ranges it’s different because you can shoot from the holster.

1 Like

If range doesn’t allow drawing, check if you can shoot picking the handgun from the bench.
As you can notice last steps / movements are exactly the same during holster drawing and picking from the bench.

• meet both hands in front of the chest
  • press out
  • shoot

The first steps of drawing:

• garment swipe up
  • master grip
  • draw up, rotate, move forward

can be practiced at home.
Once you put everything together, you have whole procedure trained :+1:

7 Likes

These days home dry fire is the only chance i get to practice this. The ranges here won’t let you draw from a holster or place a target closer than 7 yards. I guess the last parts okay, except I can’t do ten feet for the braging rights USCCA Community contest for August. I might head for the hills.

4 Likes

This is the time of year for it. I really want to try and go get in some range time at Talladega Civilian Marksmanship Park. World Class outdoor range we have down here.

2 Likes

Welcome to the USCCA Family!

To the original topic. Drawing from a holster does not need to = range time. I load a gun with snap caps and practice draws, presentation, grip and trigger control at home all the time. I can draw from concealment 50 times in my bedroom before I go to bed in less than a few minutes. I can do 100 perfect trigger pulls during one conference call.

4 Likes

every time you go to the range, or at home with the gun unloaded

1 Like

Actually if I remember correctLy Col. Jeff Cooper used to keep a Commander 1911 on his desk as a paperweight so he could dry fire it during long calls. I do too :wink:

3 Likes

I’m in my vehicle slot. So when I am sitting in the middle of no where, waiting on train crews to show up. I will take my magazine out and clear the chamber, then I will sit the a draw and draw and draw. In my vehicle my gun is next to my right leg. I’m getting fast at it. Now drawing from my 5 o’clock, where I carry from. Different story. I will be at home. I will again take out the magazine and clear the chamber. But then I hear my wife yelling at me, “This is not the wild west!!! Put it away!!!”. So yeah…

3 Likes

So my EDC is an IWB level 0 holster at the 4 o clock position.
My duty weapon is an OWB with a thumb button release.
My glock 43, I carry in my gym shorts from appendix with an IWB holster

Every time I put on a different weapon or holster, I practice a few draws to get my mind on that particular carry. For example - in the morning, I put on my duty belt so I draw my duty weapon 3-5 times. I come home from work and switch to my EDC so I draw 3-5 times with that before leaving the house with it.

3 Likes

I practice my draw 2-3 Times a week from IWB @ 4 O’clock / OWB w/ thumb brake / Ankle holster. I dry-fire train with my lasrX or I Target pro.

3 Likes

I practice also to make my draw fundamentally sound. My first draw (cold) for speed, then I slow it down 3/4 speed and practice my fundamentals and build it back up again for speed.

2 Likes

I practice also to make my draw fundamentally sound. My first draw (cold) for speed, then I slow it down 3/4 speed and practice my fundamentals and build it back up again for speed.

3 Likes