Drawing from the Holster

When you carry a gun for self-defense, one of the most important things is being able to present your firearm in an efficient, safe manner. It’s also one of things that most ranges will not allow you to do on the shooting line.

How often do you train drawing from a holster?

• Every day
  • One time a week
  • One time a month
  • I suppose I should train to draw from a holster

0 voters

What part of drawing from a holster do you need to work on most?

3 Likes

Figuring out winter clothing accessibility.

1 Like

I carry via belly band when I have a shirt tucked in, concealed AIWB for shirt not tucked in, and open carry duty retention holsters.
So I practice daily depending on what I wear and which firearm I choose… as to be familiar with the draw method, the particular holster, and firearm carried.

1 Like

I’m between “one time a week” and “every day” .

speed and first shot placement without sight alignment.

5 Likes

Usually multiple times per week with the amount of time varying each time due to circumstances. I’d guess I spend a minimum of an hour a week most times more practicing my draw. I have to carry 90% of the time with my shirt tucked in, so I feel like it’s extremely important I continue to work on it very frequently. It’s a tedious process to draw and Re-tuck everything but it’s my responsibility…

5 Likes

I draw 50 times, once a week.

2 Likes

I always carried IWB at 6 or 12 while working undercover. Later years investigations required suite and tie so OWB at 4. Since retiring I went back to IWB at 4. Its simpler to wear a larger shirt un-tucked. If I am wearing tucked, I have light weight and heavyweight jackets or concealed vests. I carry daily and practice daily as well as train draw-fire at our range in regular light and low light scenarios. We are lucky to have open and concealed carry.

4 Likes

My local range actually allows you to draw from a holster and fire. You have to let them know that you are planning on drawing from your holster. Before they give you the green light, they will evaluate to see if you are able to do it safely.

7 Likes

I at least do it once a month. Sometimes more, but, I didn’t want to exaggerate. A lot of that practice, coincides with point shooting, and one handed shooting practice.

2 Likes

I think One-Three times week!

1 Like

The range I have a membership at allows us to draw from a holster. IF. You pass the RSO test. I’m one of about a dozen that has passed. They usually give you an extra lane if they can, just in case and I use that as time to practice drawing and shooting at targets at different distances.

I’ve been doing alot of dry fire and red dot acquisition on days I’m not at range.

4 Likes

Being in a remote area most of my days I draw on many dangerous trees, stumps, boulders and cactus.
Once I’ve presented, they’ve never made an aggressive or threatening move.

9 Likes

Different clothing styles. IE winter vs summer. The thicker and heavier clothes are a bit more challenging. FYI everyone can practice this at least once a day. Everybody takes the gun off at some point. When that happens just practice a nice slow draw and presentation

2 Likes

Mine will teach you!

FREE!

2 Likes

Ours will as well. But you have to do about 100 draws without flagging yourself or others with a CIRT pistol. Also without triggering a round off on the CIRT pistol.

3 Likes

When I practice drawing my gun, it’s clear the clothing, grip & pull out the gun, keep it close to my body as I raise it to my chest, move a step in the best direction to get off the “X”, extend my arms to aim & fire,
smooth is fast & practice makes smooth

3 Likes

I dry fire drawing from the holster about 5 days a week. Recently on Saturday or Sunday I go to my local shooting range and practice drawing from the holster with live fire. So right now I practice my draw stroke 50 times once a week with live fire.

I need to get faster at clearing the cover garment without catching the cover garment and messing up my grip.

6 Likes

Just doing it. I can’t practice at the range, so I practice at home with my BarrelBlok. But not frequently enough.

2 Likes

One of the best things about this forum is that I’m constantly reminded of what I have slacked off on. I haven’t drawn & dry fired in a few weeks. I need to get back into the habit. Especially with my IWB holster. Thanks for the reminder

6 Likes

Like I’ve said before, I have dry fired on so many cactus and stumps, I don’t know what your yard or land is like but can you draw down on things outside? Or, are you in the burbs and would the Mrs. Cravets’ be all over that with 911 phone calls?

Of course I don’t waste ammo on cactus and such, just a draw/presentation/acquire sort of thing. It’s great daily practice.

2 Likes