Draw with a bad shoulder

From, @Russell: just curious if anyone else has a jacked up shoulder that is or causes problems with your holster draw? My shoulder is slowly getting worse due to arthritis, tears, and a large bone spur. How is it affecting your draw? Have you changed anything?

What suggestions do you all have for him?

1 Like

Maybe a shoulder holster. Just trying the motion sitting here, I don’t articulate my shoulder as much to simulate a shoulder holster draw as I do drawing from my waist. Another option would be to start training to carry on the other side. With that kind of deterioration, I would worry about a shoulder surgery being imminent.

2 Likes

Too many years in the service plus football, rodeo, and dirt bikes has left me with one arm/shoulder that’s slightly better than completely non functional so I can commiserate.

You have a couple of options. Long term see a good orthopedist. A few years ago I had to have my “good shoulder” scoped and the relief was amazing. It was filled with both spurs and broken off spurs floaing around in the rotator cuff causing pretty intense pain and ever more limited mobility. Within a week or ten days my strength, mobility, and range of motion were back almost to what they’d been thirty years go.

In the short term, work with what you have. You may need to move to either a cross draw or shoulder rig or perhaps even small of the back or some sort of off body carry (this is the only time you’ll see me recommend off body carry at all) depending on the limitations you have on range of motion.

3 Likes

@WildRose @45IPAC Thanks for the feedback from both of you.
I’ve thought about a shoulder rig but even that is a tough reach to be honest. The best or most comfortable place is between 1 & 2 but due to age/size (I’m not the skinny in shape kid I used to be) I can’t wear in that location nor does it allow for true CC. Also the case for the small of my back, with the limited reach, I can’t reach it quick enough to be of any good.

Wildrose, I am working right now with an Ortho and hoping that I might be able to eliminate some of this pain with the bone spurs but the arthritis has set in the joint and causes inflamation on a daily basis. Hopefully getting rid of the spurs will help eliminate most of the aggrivation.

I never thought I would consider it, but have thought of off-body carry, and if the day comes that I truly cannot carry on-body then I will have to make a serious consideration for it. I wouldn’t be the first person that was forced to do this and of course women do this all the time, under certain conditions, as do persons with handicaps or other physical considerations. But going from on-body to off-body takes a complete mental 180 degree turn of daily thought processing and it would have to be something seriously learned and a change of life as well.

Thanks for your thoughts and responses. Much appreciated.

1 Like

Take a look at one of the shoulder slinger type bags for now. Once you get the shoulder issue resolved and lose some weight you’ll have a lot more options and of course this will give you some extra motivation for taking care of both.

This is one good example of the shoulder slinger type bag.

https://lapolicegear.com/redrock-sidekick-sling-bag.html

2 Likes

Have you considered a pocket carry? I’d think that’s less challenging on the shoulder than anything at your waist.

What about a chest rig? Midway sells this one

For concealment, I’m guessing one of the heavy Carhartt vests might work, although it might not be much fun in summer.

1 Like

In the cold winter months I have issues with a tendon in my right shoulder. Drawing from 4 o’clock is slightly painful. It’s one of the reasons I’m considering either a shoulder holster or going AIWB.

Either way I go I have a holster picked out. I just need to figure out if I’m going to see about getting a slide milled for a RMR or not. Both holsters are expensive so I only want to pay once lol.

1 Like

Welcome, @WildRose and thank you for your service!

1 Like

Thanks but the thanks isn’t necessary. It was a blast! It’s the families that really deserve the thanks, military life is harder on the spouses and kids than on us.

4 Likes