Do you Volunteer?

I just had a great conversation with a woman at the USCCA Expo about the last presidential election. She and her friends had volunteered at their local polling places. I volunteer at Girl Scout Camp and am a lifetime Girl Scout (as are my mom and my daughter).

Do you volunteer? Do you think it’s important for us, as responsibly armed Americans, to volunteer in our communities?

3 Likes

I think it’s very important to volunteer in the community. I feel very blessed that in my neighborhood we all know each other, no drives by with out at least a wave and if you’re walking everyone says hello. If a new vehicle or person shows up the neighborhood Facebook page blows up with everyone turning it in.

I’m a member of the Sheepdog Impact Assistance group. Really good group of people doing everything from disaster relief to taking holiday care packages to local first responders.

4 Likes

I volunteer at my gun club when they need extra help. I’m a Certified NRA Range Safety Officer and during the holidays I volunteer if they need extra help.

2 Likes

Does a volunteer food taster count? :joy:
Just kidding, but I do volunteer for my church when I have free time and not driving all over the country side for a living.

2 Likes

I lead the Robotics Club at the school I teach at. It is an unpaid activity. The parents still get upset about how I am doing “my job.” However, I know the sports coaches have to put up with even more.

I come from a pretty blue collar background. I am going to be here anyways, even if I am done and just reading a book. As such, the computer lab is open. The kids who wanted to compete, with the robots, realized that the lab was open. As a result, I would up the coach. I am a bit of a low energy coach, as I read the rules, the coach isn’t supposed to be active in the “student led” teams. I think the parents just expect me to be more of a ball sport coach.

That isn’t saying I do nothing, if a student is having a problem with a bit of code (programming), of course I will help. However, I want them to clearly describe what they want to do and the steps involved (yes, flowcharting).

But, yes, it is a volunteer position.

5 Likes

Blood donor… does that count?
I’ve coached at some NRA Women On Target events, and I often teach new shooters at the range, or, like today, spend some time with them figuring out what gun suits them. I do some 1-1 personal and professional mentoring of young engineers or interns at work, and mentor through Toastmasters. A few years ago I volunteered on the cleanup crews after the Joplin MO tornado… that was something hard to get your brain around.
I dont volunteer for political campaigns or voter stuff because political stuff makes me too crazy.

2 Likes

I volunteer for activities with kids at church. In just 4 weeks, I’ll be a volunteer camp counselor for that very purpose. I also help out when they have extra stuff, like grilling 112 hot dogs for the kid each bash in June. I have done some volunteer chaperone activities at my sons school, because he asked me to.

1 Like

I’ve just applied for membership with my local volunteer fire company. As I have back problems, I don’t think it would be wise or possible for me to be a firefighter; I have applied for the Fire Police role. I also ride with Warriors’ Watch Riders, serving our military active and retired.

@Hasaf Very cool! A robotics club would have been cool! I took a “Computer Programming” class in 12th grade (2007-2008). Teacher was very nice, but incompetent: the language used was Visual Basic (not Java or even C++), and the teacher would give us a printed screenshot of the GUI design along with a printout of ALL of the correctly functioning code. So the task was to make an identical copy of what we were given.
So, I took a handful of students who were genuinely interested and taught them WHY the code was the way it was. I also tutored my classmates in Comp Sci OOP and Data Structures in college the first time around (2008-2011). FYI, I had been working as a paid web developer (mostly PHP/MySQL backends) since 2003 or 2004 (7th/8th grade).

2 Likes

I volunteer by providing emergency communications (Ham Radio). We work bicycle races, foot races, etc. We also help the National Weather Service. A bunch of us conceal carry unless we are at a building or facility we can’t. No one really knows who is carrying and who isn’t. We never announce it and are never asked !

3 Likes

Through my local gun club, I volunteer with a yearly youth shoot and the photographer for Henry Harnden Camp 2 in Madison, WI, Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War (SUVCW). I also volunteer at the Rock County, WI, Genealogical Society, when time permits.

5 Likes

I’m sorry I’m having so much trouble my name is Jeff glad to meet everyone

No I don’t I am disable an can’t get around at times that is to say volunteer that much I do what I can around the community

4 Likes

Welcome to the Community, @Jeffrey3! Glad to have you here.

2 Likes

If you ever do want to volunteer, some Ham Radio volunteers never leave home. The run the “net” from their house !

4 Likes

I have been an active Executives On Campus mentor at Baruch College( my alma mater) since 2004. To date, have guided 25+ students( graduate and undergraduate) in career Development.

5 Likes

Unsurprisingly, I have volunteered for 25+ years at various humane societies/dog rescues. I routinely have 4-6 dogs I am fostering/ training for therapy and/ or SAR uses. I usually take on bigger dogs that have breed specific reputations.

I love dogs what can I say. During June/July we usually have litters of kittens going through the house as well.

2 Likes

An update on my volunteering. I have also volunteered with the Humane Society until my back wouldn’t let me do it any more. And I’m now a volunteer with the Convention of States Arizona. I do what they call FOLLOW UPS for people that have signed the petition. And I do them now state wide.

1 Like

Volunteer update. I now am the volunteer rifle instructor for 4H in my county.

1 Like