Do you know your neighbors?

I live in an apartment here in Michigan, where we are in lock-down since midnight on Monday night. I’ve been here since March 2013, and there’s a high turnover rate when it comes to neighbors moving in and out of here. Most people don’t stay more than a year or two, however, there are a few others besides myself that have. I don’t know most of the neighbors here, other than to say hello to as they walk by with their dog(s), or to wave to as they walk by or drive past me standing on my porch. As far as I know, there’s only one other resident who has been there as long as I have. I know her, but we don’t really get together to do things. She is older than I am by at least 15 years. We say hello to each other.

3 Likes

Also, Due to the fact that I have multiple health issues, I do have to see a number of different doctors. I carry while in their offices; I have told a few of them, like my chiropractor, who also says that she shoots also. So does my massage therapist.

2 Likes

I’ve lived on my property since 1979. Only had two neighbors back then and it stayed that way for a long time. Those folks are all gone now, and as often happens when the kids inherit, they want the money, not the land, and you know what’s next. I now have more neighbors than before, am acquainted with some, on smile & wave terms with the others. Don’t misunderstand, I have no problem with people needing homes, but I liked it a lot better when it was me and lots of unoccupied forest and fields. I do have enough land to legally shoot though, so that’s good- just have to be considerate about it.

2 Likes

We know most of our neighbors in and around the area.

Two houses to our south very well.

The home next to us on the north burned and they died.

The next 2 houses up we know well.

Across the street we know the 2 houses down.

1 of the 2 flag lots behind the houses on the street

Then the 2 directly across we’re very close

Finishing up with next 2 house up we know we’ll.

Of these neighbors I’ve got 3 Marines and 1 sailor, with 6 that are armed.

1 Like

It’s a crazy topic for me, I grew up in the city where people sat on the stoop and belonged to a parish. Corner stores, block parties and the old timers took an interest in the kids in the neighborhood. I moved out to just beyond burbs / Farmland to show my kids good people still exist and hearing things i.e. good morning, thank you, please and eye contact. It’s a better life/ living out here but socially it’s a wave while cutting lawns…■■■■ like that, but you adjust. Not complaining as I have no friction either so I will take what I can get. God bless America

2 Likes

20 years and I know only the first names of 3. A wave from my driveway is as personal as it gets.

3 Likes

Been living in the same location for over 5 years and I’m not interested in knowing any of my neighbors since they have never said anything to me. I have warning signs posted about this home owner is armed so they know not to do anything crazy.

1 Like

They are “steal weapons here” signs. Be wise, don’t advertise.

3 Likes

2 out the 3 houses on my road belong to folks I graduated with and have known for 30+ years (wait that means I’m … ok let’s drop that line of thought) anyway love living in the sticks

1 Like

I see more of my neighbors now than I ever did before the lockdown.

3 Likes

Me and my wife have lived in this neighborhood for 9 years and she is the social butterfly. As far as knowing our neighbors we know the ones in the houses to our left and right well and a few in the community. But then again how much do we really know people. We have all heard the stories and comments. No way; Not them; I can not believe it; come on are you serious; Etc.

1 Like