Do. Know.the .proper. To.Hand..some.one.your.Knife.

Does it matter how you hand.Some one.your.Knife.and .if. So.Why.:question:

Folding knife: Closed is my preference, but if it’s already open, then as with a fixed blade knife assuming it is for immediate use

Handle towards the recipient, cutting edge away from my hand/palm, is what I do. I hold the handle nearer the blade leaving a lot of open handle for the recipient to grasp

As a right handed person handing it from my right hand to another person’s right hand they end up with a pretty good practical use grip right off the bat as well

But this isn’t something that is done very often

Really, it’s just a quick roughly 180* turn, bottom of the handle rotating in/towards them. Real simple

8 Likes

How many here learned this method when earning the Boy Scout Totin’ Chip?
I learned it as a Scout and taught it for years as an Assistant ScoutMaster.

7 Likes

If that someone is asking nicely to borrow it , then handing it over similarly to how @Nathan57 describes sounds like the safest bet for everyone involved.

If that someone is demanding it through threat of violence then either - pointy end first in a repeated slashing and/or stabbing motion or dropping it on the ground at their feet as a distraction to create a window to run away or draw a firearm might be the better way to go.

5 Likes

First I need a DETAILED DESCRIPTION of intended use and total trust of the person receiving my knife. Then closed if a folder or hold the knife by the blade with edge AWAY from my hand and let go when they have a proper hold on it.

6 Likes

…totally not going to use it as a pry bar.

And definitely not going to use it as a screwdriver.

…mostly

6 Likes

I HAVE TWO KABARS. And I LET SOMEONE USE ONE AND IF THEY DROP MY KNIFE AND RUN BACKWARDS. I HAVE TWO . SO THEY BETTER RUN . Haw haw. More than four feet . More than ten . I DO NOT UNDERSTAND YOUR QUESTION :question::question::question: I GOT TO KEEP MY MEMBERSHIP . And I was good so I got a brick :brick: love ya brother . :chile::us::heart::white_heart::blue_heart::face_with_peeking_eye::feather: I AM SO HAPPY TEXAS IS ARESTING ALL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL FOREIGNERS . And. THIS HAS CHANGED we. ARE . STOPING. THIS TAKE OVER . WE HAVE MORE GARDSMEN COMING . CITIZENS CAN JOIN IN ON DEFENDING THE TEXAS BORDER . I have some old western cow boy movies to watch . I am AND INACENT. By Standard . Help haw haw I have a BB gun red rider . And it hurts . Here is your root beer :beer: for Debbie ann paying my membership . I think my outher brother is going to join . Woo HOO

We learned it as not letting go until the recipient said “thank you”. Not out of etiquette, but it let the giver know the receiver had a good grip before letting go.

4 Likes

Love you brother . WE ARE ALL GOING TO HAVE TO HAVE EACH OTHERS BACK . AND THANK YOU FOR HAVING MINE I LOVE YOU BROTHER . HERE IS YOU A ROOT BEER. :beer: stay sharp. LOVE BOBBY JEAN.:chile::us::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::heart::white_heart::blue_heart::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::feather::feather::bangbang::100::100::100::bangbang::bangbang::bangbang:AMEN :bangbang::100::100::100:

1 Like

Yup, that is how we trained it and the reason. I just did not feel like giving a Totin’ Chip lesson here.

3 Likes

Brothers. TWO ROOT BEERS :beer::beer::chile::us::100::100::100::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: COMING RIGHT UP . THAT IS GRATE. DEFINITELY . LOVE Bobby jean :bell::bell::bell::telephone_receiver::bangbang::heart::white_heart::blue_heart::us::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::toolbox::bangbang:

2 Likes

Don’t. Put it on the deck (table, chair, etc.). When folks practice self protection and hand a practice knife, gun, etc. to an “opponent” one practices doing that very thing. Under stress, we resort to training…uh oh. Also, avoid accidentally cutting someone. On a boat, heavy seas, one slips while reaching for the knife…put it on the deck…

1 Like

Keystonecop. YOU ARE RIGHT. Never hand any one a knife . Outher. THEN. HANDEL. First. AND . SETTING IT DOWN. IF . Possible!! AND NEVER POINT ANYTHING . At any one. :point_up:t4: especially. Your . Index.FINGER. Because . If you . Point your finger at someone . They can . Take you and . Any thing . . Every single person that has been trained. Can turn your finger . In to . A . TRIP. TO. THE HOSPITAL. WITH . LIFE THREATENING. Injuries :bangbang::point_up:t4::broken_heart::100::100::100::bangbang::chile::us::heart::white_heart::blue_heart: HERE IS YOUR ROOT. :beer: :beer::beer::beer::100: LOVE Bobby jean . :point_up:t4: