Do all these covid19 gun purchases make you personally feel more or less safe?

I don’t know. if these people had any sense they would take training classes but I think most guns will end up gathering dust.

4 Likes

I am concerned that many of the recent (Covid) first time firearm buyers are a danger to themselves and others. I returned to my local public pistol range the day after the county (Cumberland County, PA) finally reopened it. Seven or eight guys had arrived as a group just before I did. They were getting organized and generally excited as they were talking to each other about figuring out how to load their new guns. It was obivious they were clueless - constantly flagging themselves and each other as they tried to load. I told them that I’m a firearms instructor and asked if they were OK/needed any help. I tried to do that in a very respectful, low ego and polite manner. They seemed somewhat insulted and assured me they were all fine. I would have been happy to provide an impromptu safety and loading class. But, I decided the best bet was to just leave. After having returned from several deployments unscathed, I didn’t want to get shot by someone trying to load pistol for the first time.

Just as having a piano doesn’t make someone a pianist, having a gun doesn’t make them capable of defending themselves or their family. As a community, we need to continue to emphasize the message that acquiring a firearm comes with the responsibility to learn firearms safety and acquire the ability to handle it competently.

3 Likes

I agree with Kenneth94. Many, many of the first time purchasers will never actually fire their new gun. Its just like a security blanket for a toddler. Having it makes them feel more secure. But, it doesnt actually make them safer.

3 Likes

But on the bright side the used gun market will be booming in a couple years.

5 Likes

So true.

2 Likes

Well as of today things are not improving,in fact things are starting to fall apart and now the protesters/rioters re starting to fire on delivery trucks delivering supplies to cities and they are starting to fire on people in cars just trying to get through intersections and there is no way that if i have to again i will call USCCA and use the benefits once again.I go absolutely NO where un armed,it is not in my nature to be a slave or a victim, most certertainly encourage for new and old weapons owners to train their motor memory and the know your weapon and to become as one with it

2 Likes

I hear your points. I can see there may be a trade-off, regrettably.

I being able to own, yes, I personally feel safer. Guess it’s a bigger picture, complex. From school, I’m influenced to look through a sociology lens.

I think the criminals might think twice, given more that the ‘law-abiding are legal owners’.

However, more guns in circulation, more chance of criminals stealing them? But I’m comforted more by the fact we have increased 2A supporters.

Those not in favor of The 2A may disagree with the increase.

To your point though, I’m a big supporter of more firearm safety training, but I prefer it be more affordable, in thinking of the many at low income, my feeling they can unfortunately end up getting left out.

Speaking of Fort Worth, Texas and the USCCA’s 2021 Expo; Texas had experienced running out of food this winter. Preppers sometimes get a bad rap, but a future collapse of a micro or macro economy (God forbid) can be a motivator to exercise rights to bear arms (in advance) for security sake.

Interesting post and food for thought good man, appreciate you. :innocent:

With us in my household its mute. Because i have watch and saw it coming for years. Not the pandemic specifically the attitudes. In the past one instance is Katrina.Nuff said on that. Most of us know how that panned out. So answer to that question is neutral is that no more safe or less safe. All it did is push awareness to the next level

Taking some time to explore the sometimes older topics on this sunny Sunday morning, and wondering why the 1st time gun-buying surge is attributed to Covid.

For me, it definitely was not.

I’ve never been anti-gun, not that I was actively pro-gun before either. But one day my wife and I were discussing the news, the riots and defunding police talk, specifically. She looked at me, and said “You know, we should be prepared to defend ourselves.”

At the time I bought my first gun, I definitely surprised the salesman when he asked “Don’t you want any ammunition,” and I replied that I didn’t. I had made this decision pretty quickly, and wanted to learn more first. The gun purchase was a get-it-while-you-can thing. (The get-some-ammo-while-you-can problem started later.)

Covid wasn’t a factor in my purchase, but it was a problem with moving forward. Because of business shutdown orders, it took a couple of months before I could get into a gun safety course. By chance, where I was able to enroll was a USCCA course.

More to the topic at hand: All these (Covid) gun purchases don’t make me feel any more, or any less safe. But… my own purchase and the trajectory I’ve launched upon, do. Moreover, the people I’ve met during my CCW class and qualification, and on this forum, have absolutely made me feel more safe, because I now have a very real picture of the gravity responsible gun owners feel, and the commitment they make regarding gun ownership.

1 Like

Coupled with Biden’s rhetoric and increased crime/defunding police, buying a firearm sounds like a very rational response.
I can’t fault anyone for being rational.

However I must question the notion of using a firearm to defend yourself (or your toilet paper) against a virus

1 Like