Disaster Preparation

Here in Florida there must be special plans for a certain amount of folks. Preparations for disasters, as like Hurricanes.
Securing your home and extra security for those important items.

4 Likes

I assume you don’t subscribe to the New Orleans plan, where police confiscate all firearms from homeowners during a national disaster?

4 Likes

I use the old FEMA, (who stole it from Civil Defense) the Mitigation, Preparedness, Response and Recovery format.
Everyone should have an emergency action plan that includes firearms, weapons and ammo. NO government ran shelter will allow any of these items. It is incumbent upon responsible firearms owners to have a plan, and a secondary plan as well. The first plan rarely survives the first hurricane :zipper_mouth_face:
And, LEO’s et al generally ARE NOT your friend regarding firearms during these events. Their ‘concern’ is that looters will steal your firearms, so the LEO’s use that mantra to legally confiscate them.

3 Likes

After the Katrina debacle. :man_facepalming:

Can The Federal Government Confiscate My Firearms?

This law amended 42 U.S.C 5207 Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act to add the following provision:

SEC. 706. FIREARMS POLICIES.

(a) PROHIBITION ON CONFISCATION OF FIREARMS- No officer or employee of the United States (including any member of the uniformed services), or person operating pursuant to or under color of Federal law, or receiving Federal funds, or under control of any Federal official, or providing services to such an officer, employee, or other person, while acting in support of relief from a major disaster or emergency, may–

(1) temporarily or permanently seize, or authorize seizure of, any firearm the possession of which is not prohibited under Federal, State, or local law, other than for forfeiture in compliance with Federal law or as evidence in a criminal investigation;

(2) require registration of any firearm for which registration is not required by Federal, State, or local law;

(3) prohibit possession of any firearm, or promulgate any rule, regulation, or order prohibiting possession of any firearm, in any place or by any person where such possession is not otherwise prohibited by Federal, State, or local law; or

(4) prohibit the carrying of firearms by any person otherwise authorized to carry firearms under Federal, State, or local law, solely because such person is operating under the direction, control, or supervision of a Federal agency in support of relief from the major disaster or emergency.

(b) LIMITATION- Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit any person in subsection (a) from requiring the temporary surrender of a firearm as a condition for entry into any mode of transportation used for rescue or evacuation during a major disaster or emergency, provided that such temporarily surrendered firearm is returned at the completion of such rescue or evacuation.

Following the lead of the federal government, most state legislatures adopted their own version

Also see.

Firearms & Natural Disasters In Florida.

8 Likes

What are some plans for firearms security and/or relocation strategies against disasters? Including those that have advanced notice i.e. a hurricane little to no notice i.e. tornadoes and some notice i.e. floods.
What do you plan to take and plan to secure?

1 Like

I live in East Central WI. in a very safe place. Other then some minor flooding and high winds
our plan is to hunker in place. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Heck No

2 Likes

A little farther north in Wisconsin, we sometimes have no option except to hunker in place.
…or go snowmobiling.

3 Likes

I spent a year in Louisiana, no hurricanes but some for real storms. All I can say is those storms are FOR REAL.

2 Likes

If evacuating your home and leaving some of your stuff in a safe, I recommend running a strip of painter’s tape or duct tape around the edges of the door because they are not water tight.

There is a one time use seal that swells in the heat of a fire, but it is not water tight until exposed to a fire.

4 Likes

Yup. I have lived in Da UP and Northern WI. most all my life so I know what Winter is. :cold_face:
Winters is East Central WI are much easier, although we did have one storm 3 years ago when we had 34 inch’s of snow in 48 hours. :snowflake:

4 Likes

We used to have winters here in Utah but for the last 5-6 years they have been pretty mild teens for the lows 30’s for the highs - 4-8 inches of snow at a time. Used to be, in Feb, we would have 2-3 weeks where the high was 5 and the lows would be -5 - 8-12 inches of snow every 5-6 days from Dec to Feb.

1 Like

Personally, due to how my home is situated. Shelter in place except for in the case of mass civil unrest. Then bugout to pre existing location that my group has.

1 Like