Dino Hunters Defending expensive bones on open range

I just saw a preview of the cowboys firing an AR-15 towards, not at, bone thieves I read that it is a felony in Montana to do that. They filmed an illegal act on the Discovery Channel Shouldn’t someone that depends on financially surviving be able to defend their property?

3 Likes

Wow, I am from MT, and dont know the answer! Hopefully markinMT will respond…maybe our famous lawyer dude Mike will help answer…

2 Likes

Suppose they weren’t thieves but surveyors from osha they are in the field so you can’t see their ID nor is it exposed . You shoot in someones direction is the equivalent of being fired upon, we use the tactic of shifting fire to suppress enemy movements this is no different from the perspective of the one down range. Now here’s the bad part what are the laws In Montana governing being fired upon and self defense that is where it’s either provocation or incitement If you never been down range of a rifle round let alone a barrage 6 foot above you wizzing by with an almost cartoon like sound of Doppler shift and supersonic crack yeah not a good place to be when you hear it

2 Likes

As a dinosaur nut, my heart cheers to hear of fossils being protected. My brain though, my brain says it might not be ideal.

Of course, it’s not my property being stolen.

And incidentally, paleontology rocks!

3 Likes

They also film/air a moonshine series and other illegal activity on other shows. I’ve often wondered how they’re allowed to do that. @MikeBKY, thoughts?

4 Likes

There are two separate issues. First are the illegal acts that are being committed. It would be up to the appropriate authorities to decide whether or not to prosecute the offenders.

As for the media companies that are filming these, as long as they are not actually taking part in or in some way encouraging the activity, they would not be criminally liable. The filming crew would be witnesses for the prosecution.

3 Likes

Wow! Thanks for that share @MikeBKY!

Always wondered how that works!

2 Likes

Honestly I don’t believe they’re actually doing anything illegal. Companies are out to make a buck and dramatizing things is proven to be successful. I wouldn’t be surprised is it was all editing magic.

4 Likes

I’m watching the next episode right now.

These reality shows tend to embellish drama.

1 Like

Reality TV Paleontology is not something I ever thought I’d come across.

Paleontology is fascinating, but I never expected it to be exciting. When I was two years old, I wanted to be a paleontologist. The kind that my coloring books showed driving tractors to move copious amounts of rocks off of the skeletons I wanted. Since I grew up, I’ve come to understand that paleontological digs are not done with dump trucks and tractors so much as they are with brushes and spoons, and the occasional pick.

But even when I thought I was going to drive a tractor to dig up bones, I never thought it would be particularly exciting.

1 Like

IIRC, some reality show people have been arrested… maybe Swamp People? Also, some seem to script things out or setup circumstances… Storage Wars comes to mind.

1 Like