Bend Police Dept. - 01/01/22 6:03 PM

Date / Time Occurred: January 1, 2022 at 12:08 PM
Type of Incident: Weapons Offense
Victim: Adult Female / Bend Oregon
Victim: Adult Male / Bend Oregon
Victim: Adult Male / Bend Oregon
Suspect: 31 Year-old Male / Bend Oregon
Case Number: 2022-00000087

On January 1st 2021 at 12:08 PM, officers from the City of Bend Police Department responded to a report of a male who was breaking windows out of vehicles, had entered a neighbor’s vehicle, and was threatening people with a handgun. Officers responded to the scene and learned that the suspect male had chased a female into her house and attempted to enter her home while pointing a handgun at her. The suspect then retreated back inside his home after being confronted by the female’s husband, who had armed himself with a firearm.

The Central Oregon Emergency Response Team (CERT) was called out to assist. The suspect male eventually came out of his home and was taken into custody without incident, force, or injuries. The suspect was transported to St. Charles Hospital for an evaluation.

A warrant was later served on the suspect’s residence where a replica handgun was located. The suspect is facing the following charges:
• Three counts of Unlawful Use of a Weapon
• Three counts of Menacing
• Attempted Burglary in the First Degree
• Attempted Robbery in the Second Degree
• Disorderly Conduct
• Unlawful Entry into a Motor Vehicle
• Criminal Mischief in the First Degree.

Doesn’t sound like the person I want living next door. It’s nice that evade, report, and defend produced safety without needing to end with a shooting. Well played, or just lucky — you never know…

4 Likes

Maybe since they were neighbors they knew the guy had a propensity to do crazy stuff and knew he was just acting out, in a big way…

2 Likes

That could be. If a perceived fake (i.e. not believed to be actual jeopardy or menace), then responding with a threat of deadly force could be problematic for the defender. I would prefer to think that a known crazy neighbor with an unknown capacity for self-control was perceived as an actual threat which evaporated in the face of a prepared defender.

I’m sure an investigation of the actual facts will come up with one or more plausible narratives about what actually occurred.

A preliminary report like this is just another “what if me?” thought experiment opportunity.
“What if there is credible menace?” and “What if there is not credible menace?” are both possibilities worth thinking about.

2 Likes