Designing a range stand

If there are any Carpenters that would like to collaborate on the design of a range stand, please let me know.

1 Like

I built a range stand many moons ago but I will try to explain. Imagine a computer desk that is made to sit in the corner of a room. You sit directly in front of the corner and the desk sides 45s following the walls down both sides of you. I used a full sheet of plywood and from the front of the sheet I measured back maybe 30 inches. The area where I sat was maybe 30 inches across which gave me enough wiggle room to move around and ease of reaching both sides to access all my gear. I think the sides were maybe 2 ft wide. Plywood will want to sag over time so just make a recessed box frame with braces and screw the top down to that. As far as how tall it will be depend on what seat you build or use. I really enjoyed that range stand for many years. I hope this helps

2 Likes

Henry, thank you so much for sharing this with me. I can wait to design and build it and share it here with the community.

2 Likes

It was long time ago so the measurements were rough estimates. Just make it fit you and your needs and I know you will be happy.

1 Like

Here you go. I build my stands from scraps left over from other projects. image
4 feet tall, 3 feet wide. Cross beams are right at 12 inch centers, so I can hang 12x12 targets on them. It can accommodate screws for hanging targets, and not even sustained 12 gauge fire can knock it over. Shoot a board to pieces, back out the screws, change the board, and run the screws back in. It is a little heavy though.

1 Like

I would only suggest adding a couple of 45 degree angle braces from the risers to the legs.

2 Likes

wasn’t sure exactly what you were looking for … gun stand? … target stand? shooting bench?

found these:
Gun Stand:

Target Stand (IDPA/IPSC style)
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2008/02/free-plans-for-48-target-stand/
link has a downloadable PDF for this:

Shooting Bench:

Sorry. Yes my design was for a “bench” as referred to above but instead of it being a two seater for a left and right handed shooter. It was a center seat that had the table come down left and right sides to accommodate either shooter type. I built it for my self and really liked being able to have all my gear on the table and nothing on the ground. I also didnt have to get up and switch seats to practice shooting left or right handed. I used it Daily for years behind my house and loved it :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you’re talking about setting up to practice shooting from something like a seated position at a desk, just a simple folding camp table and a decent chair is all you need.

No need to spend a bunch of money or build something big and bulky that you need help to drag around.

2 Likes