Denied by Employer to Serve as Church Security Team Member

Welcome to the family and you are in the right place at the right time.

1 Like

I wonder…

If I were in the U.S. Marines Band, could I be told that I can’t play piano in church?

Or if I worked for the IRS, could I be told that I couldn’t collect offerings at my church?

What if I was a teacher? Could my school district tell me that I can’t teach Sunday School?

Just curious. Does the BOP understand that you’re a volunteer serving in an off-duty capacity? Is it strictly about perceived liability or do they genuinely thing that you’re taking on a second job?

4 Likes

In my city off duty LEOs in uniform work as paid security for businesses.

3 Likes

This happened to a potential member of our security team. When I asked the Chief of Police, he told me that it would create a conflict if the member had to quickly transition from the security team to police officer. i’m not sure that I agree with this, but we are a small town and it is not worth fighting it.
At the same time, you can hire an off-duty cop to show up at your church and sit in a police car blocking off several parking spaces during your service. Neither the pastor nor I want that.

2 Likes

My activities at church are not the business of my employer.

3 Likes

I was denied a position as volunteer Sheriffs posse because, I am a chef at a bar and grill.

1 Like

It seems strange. I don’t see a conflict of interest, as you are not ‘working’. You are attending church, anyway. You are carrying, anyway. If necessary, you are going to defend your family and church family, anyway. Unless this is a paid position, I don’t see their interest.

2 Likes

@P525 I was going to recommend you keep very good documentation as you try to appeal this or find a legal work-around, but Craig already hit this point so I will second his motion. Another suggestion: RETIRE. You said you have 20 years in already. I know a few very good Christian men who have left the Federal BOP in the past decade over religious bias and general stupidity.

And there is your “conflict of interest.” It steps all over the money-maker he controls.

1 Like

Do not be employed as LEO at the church. Be a volunteer and adhere to the state and church policies and legislation. Conceal or open carry should be up to the church (private property). Do not use your badge, just your experience.

3 Likes