Defending stuff with deadly force - news story

I’ve seen a lot of posts lately about defending your stuff from looters. Here’s a story from this weekend where an unarmed man stealing DJ equipment from a trailer outside someone’s house was shot and killed by the homeowner. I’m interested to see how this turns out.

4 Likes

You are right @Keith61, this is one to watch. The real problem now is what really happened. I would never advise the use of deadly force to protect property, but, without knowing how the scene evolved, I could not say whether the use of force was justifiable. That being said, with the deceased being shot several times in the back does not look promising.

7 Likes

I would agree, it won’t go well because the wounds were from behind. You can’t claim self defense if they are running away and I haven’t heard of a DA that says protecting property is ok. This won’t go well for him.

3 Likes

It’s self defense, not stuff defense.
That said, the article says the officers recovered a lock that had been cut off the trailer. Bolt cutters could be used as a deadly weapon. The rest of this story will be important to what actually transpired here.

3 Likes

The homeowner should’ve called 911 and not shoot the thieves. You don’t kill anyone to protect your stuff.

3 Likes

It is the right thing to do, but you realize the likelihood of prompt police response.

3 Likes

@MikeBKY
I’ve often wondered. What if instead of shooting the person(s), obviously not good to protect property not involving the national security, you took out the engine block, radiator, and tires of the escape vehicle before they even got back to the car (on your property say)

6 Likes

I agree. The shots in the back are tough. He could have been running away or shot in the back when the homeowner found him.

3 Likes

I’m not sure how destroying the perps get away vehicle would be taken @Greg35. I guess the 2 issues would be that, if I recall correctly, it was some distance away and they could still take off with the stuff on foot. Regardless, I think it is a better option than shooting them.
You’re right @45IPAC. If a weapon of any kind was presented, then deadly force might have been justified. Again, my recollection was that there were no weapons noted but that doesn’t mean there was not something used as a “dangerous instrument.”
This definitely seems like one where 911 should be called @Johnnyq60, but, as @Alexander8 implies, when seconds count, police are just minutes away.
Shots through the back are difficult @Keith61, and if the person was retreating, he was obviously no a threat to life or limb. Without condoning shooting someone in the back, I have also seen evidence video where a police officer was condemned for shooting a suspect in the back. In-car video later showed that the suspect, while running from police, shot at the officer and he returned fire hitting him in the side and back. The officer was charged with murder but was subsequently acquitted. The evidence showed that the shots were responsive to being shot at and the suspect was turning which lead to him getting shot in the side and back.

4 Likes

We have a very similar situation here in Central Florida…happened in Sanford FL…the same Orlando suburb where the Trayvon Martin/ George Zimmerman incident took place.

The only difference, and why there haven’t been charges brought against the home owner is BOTH PARTIES are Black.

The elderly home owner shot into the dark while his wife stood behind him on the phone with 911…
The 17 year old thief was later found laying dead in the street from 1 gun shot…to the BACK!

This is another incident where BECAUSE OF RACE of both parties being Black…there is no outcry by the public for Justice…no protesting…no rioting…nothing…other than the dead boys family!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/05/05/sanford-police-host-news-conference-regarding-neighborhood-incident/%3FoutputType=amp

2 Likes

@Mel2 This is neither an appropriate time nor platform to post such a bias statement. Your post is based solely upon your opinion, and not factual data.
If you delete your post… I’ll delete this one.

3 Likes

I’m sorry you feel I’m being biased…but this is exactly what is being complained about by the dead boys family.
THEY are the ones who have been on local news stating this very statement…and are the ones comparing the differences of the media attention the Martin/Zimmerman case received because it was 2 different races…that they are not getting justice for their son because the shooter is elderly and also Black.
Personally I have to agree with them…even though their boy was stealing…he was obviously not a threat to the home owner since he was shot in the back.

2 Likes

There is also the State Prosecutors argument that since the homeowner had a completely fenced in property and the boy had to open the fence gate to get to the homeowners cars (which is what he was burglarizing)…it is consider breaking and entering the homeowners residence.???

Which I believe is another far reach for justification.

2 Likes

I’m going to step in here and remind everyone that the point of the USCCA Community is to help everyone learn how to best defend themselves and their loved ones.

We appreciate that the loss of stuff is frustrating and the current situation is very emotionally charged. However, I would ask that everyone stays on the topic of self-defense.

6 Likes

When seconds count the police are just minutes away. Not their fault but you can’t carry a cop in your back pocket. I used to live literally a 2 minute walk from a police station. The few times I ever had to call them it took at least 10 minutes for them to drive to the house… Once it took long enough and it was urgent enough I called 911 back and asked wtf and that they could walk to my house faster. Again not their fault as there were other urgent things going on at that moment unfortunately but still.

2 Likes