DCI vs Competition - recommendations/tips? How do I train for both?

I’m ‘new’ to the CCW world after being in the military for over 22 years. I just bought a Glock 22 (.40 S&W) Gen 5 as my first personal handgun. I’m taking a DSF1 course in a few weeks but I’m also interested looking into competition shooting (like GSSF). In the little bit I’ve read (Defensive Shooting Fundamentals, Rob Pincus) it appears training for a dynamic critical incident (DCI) and training for something like a Glock Sport Shooting Foundation (GSSF) competition are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Precision shooting has always fascinated me (and I’m not half bad at it) but training for a DCI makes a ton of sense as well. I’m wondering if any of you do both and if so do you have any recommendations/tips? How do I train for both? What do you do to train for DCI shooting event possibilities and how is it different from what you do to train for competition shooting? I’d appreciate any and all information you can give me.

1 Like

@Twowheels_etc - welcome to the community.

While not exactly on “opposite ends of the spectrum,” they are certainly different disciplines. I don’t know if “mastering” one inhibits mastery of the other.

2 Likes

That’s a better way of putting it - different disciplines. Looking for drills and ways to develop skills for both. Thanks.

DCI and competition, like you both mentioned - these are way different disciplines. It’s hard to focus on both , even you may find common thing - hitting fast and precisely in center mass.
But with DCI (like Mr. Pincus defines it) - “you are not able to predict most of things that are going to happen, all is surprising, chaotic and threatening”.

If you are looking for drills to develop skills for both - you will need to do more than range shooting.
First step you will have during your DSF1 class - the final evaluation with real scenario.
Then I’d suggest to find an Instructor or group of people who want to train like you.
There are the classes of “dynamic shooting”, where they stage bad targets (threats) and good targets (bystanders) and you have to decide what to do.
Another great form is “Force-on-Force” class when you actually shoot the bad guys (simunition or plastic BBs) and that’s the best way to feel DCI’s atmosphere, because it is in fact dynamic, chaotic and unpredictable.

But to be honest… I’m not sure if you are going to learn precision during such classes. Perhaps on “static target” classes, when you get extra 1 - 2 seconds… but “Force-on-Force” doesn’t give you any time for precision. You just have to have that skill already to survive DCI.

My training plan and goal is to train and practice precision and then apply it to DCI.

3 Likes

I like this approach. It has been my approach the past few years.

1 Like

Yeap. I learned this 3 years ago when I became Armed Citizen. First marksmanship skill, then self defense skills.

I’ve been using one rule which keeps me thinking this way: You are responsible for every round which comes out from your muzzle. I cannot afford single miss.

4 Likes