Curious about carrying

I’ll offer this to the discussion—

Currently open carry is illegal in CA outside of hunting season.
Our Sheriff prefers CCW holders to everyday carry, however concealed means concealed
Deputies I know tell me if they see someone with a handgun or even see evidence of a handgun(like ammo) during a traffic stop it throws a whole different light (and not a good light) on the situation.

I don’t know how it is in other states or jurisdictions, but around here if you carry, carry concealed and you’ll likely be OK. The thing is to have confidence in your efforts to conceal.

6 Likes

I think your argument of many people far overestimating their chances of being a victim of a violent crime is valid. And there are many threats that should be receiving equal if not more effort to their prevention. However I believe the 19000 number is a gross misrepresentation of the risks.

I think the last FBI numbers I looked at from a few years ago showed that 250,000 or so people used a firearm to successfully defend themselves in whatever year I was looking at. Some studies think this number is a significant underestimate. That does not include all the people who failed to defend themselves with a firearm and suffered other physical and mental traumas short of death.

I think the average person has an 80% chance of being the victim of a violent crime during their lives? Sure for people in good neighborhoods that number is much lower thanks to the people in bad neighborhoods having a high probability of being a victim multiple times. But the chance is noticeably less than zero for most of us. And not all of us have the physical ability and training to handle bad situations without a firearm which with a little training and practice can give some of the weakest and most vulnerable people at least some chance against the most intimidating thugs.

I have almost been struck by lightning about as many times as I have been seriously threatened with violence. Which is to say several times. I carry as often as I can to protect myself from violence. I would also carry something that would protect from the slight chance of a lightning strikes if such a thing existed. Hearing the bang and seeing the flash of lightning at the same instant and having the electricity travel part way up an arm or leg is a scary thing!

5 Likes

@Dave17 @Enzo_T @Mr.Plastic This comment thread has gotten extremely off-topic and in no way productive to helping a new member of the concealed carry community.

The constant arguing of semantics in this thread helps no one. Please continue to contribute to these posts in constructive ways so that we can help grow our community into a positive environment for all new and experienced gun owners.

While these topics that were brought up can steer to be more emotionally charged, before you reply ask yourself ‘Is this helping the conversations?’

9 Likes

I can relate. I work in a state all week where no one can carry, but can and do carry in my home state on the weekends. While we don’t go anywhere dangerous, we’ve gotten to the age where we look like easy targets and I know I can’t scare them off or fight like I used to. I’m a long time shooter and have carried on and off for just as long.

I moved to weekend EDC about 2 years ago. What prompted me to was seeing punks preying more boldly on people and having less regard for human life than I’d ever seen among civilians. Violent crime that used to occur just in the cities was showing up more and more in rural environs. I’m not worried about me, they can have the $20 in my pocket, my free watch and the company cell phone, but if they aim their aggression at my wife or grand child I’m ventilating their cranium.

3 Likes

So since you can’t carry in the work state do you carry some other protection that would be legal ?

3 Likes

I dated a cop. He suggested a new carry for me. Then I hit a deer, it was still alive. I called the sheriffs office because I wasn’t armed. The deputy was not happy with me.

4 Likes

I’ve had a gun in my gut and a knife on my throat and jumped by a large group of thugs… only on one of those I was glad I wasn’t carrying, the other two I wished I was.

3 Likes

Not sure I got you right, but I’ve wondered if I ever hit a deer, or see one struck, if I would then shoot it to spare it from further suffering, then call the police to report it. If any one has any comments on the legalities, please share. I imagine it differs by state and I do need to research it.

4 Likes

Knives.

4 Likes

@Mr.Plastic >>> getting hit by lightning. https://youtu.be/OGR6Wk3Kboo

Some people got all the luck.

3 Likes

Who cares what other’s think your getting it for your personal pertection not to impress others, first things first you must find a gun you are able to handle and train with it so if the time ever comes you are able to protect yourself and your loved one’s. Having a gun is like driving a car the more you drive the better of a driver you become. The same goes with any firearm the more you train with it the better you get with it, I personally go to the rang 4 times a month and practice dry firing all the time, you can never have too much training.

5 Likes

It depends on the civilian.
BTW, police officers in the USA, if they aren’t military, are civilians.

People who are acting goofy are not the people I’d want to see with a firearm.

Some people I’d actually expect to have an concealed firearm—
Bankers and couriers
Pharmacists
Doctors
Jewelers
Criminal defense attorneys and prosecutors
Cab drivers and truckers
Inner city business owners/managers/clerks

I would not expect to see people in jurisdictions where guns are not permitted to have a firearm, and therein lies the rub: neither do the criminals.

I haven’t worn a badge for nearly 20 years now, so take this for what it’s worth.

4 Likes

Once you get comfortable with your gun it’s easy. First after you buy your gun, get as much practice in as possywhile you wait till you get your C&C License. Make sure you have a good, quality holster that fits you and your gun well. I prefer OTW more than inside. Once you start carrying, you don’t even know it. Very comfortable and you can feel good knowing you’ve leveled the playing field with all those criminals & thugs that the courts and Liberals protect. I hope I never have to use it. But I’m physically and mentally ready to if I have to. It’s been 2 years for me now. It goes wherever I go!!!

4 Likes

Yes sir, I’m on the same page. Besides training in most cases is shooting and I enjoy shooting although it cost a bit more now

4 Likes

@Brad69 >>> I go to the range every day unless it rains. PS: welcome aboard Brad. My main objective in life now is to have fun & be good at it.
:us::us::us:

3 Likes

@Burdo my buddy and I came to a traffic jam because a deer got hit by a car and it was trying to stand up on broken legs. A cop was trying to shoot the deer in the head but he was so shook up he couldn’t get a head shot. When I asked to help he gave me his gun and I was able to quickly dispatch the animal. Very strange things do happen. Dispatching an animal in city limits would be a whole different ball game. :us::us::us:

4 Likes

You are your first line of defense but if you don’t train with your concealed carry it’s really just a paper weight you carry to make yourself feel safe. Get the training first. Practice at home with your carry gun, make sure all ammo is in another room and the gun is safe then practice how to use it because in a life treating situation every second counts. I belong to an outdoor range where I can draw from the holster and it makes a huge difference. I also practice at the range and I belong to IDPA. The more you train the better you will become. i belong to The well armed women’s gun club and it has been so beneficial to me personally. Good luck.

4 Likes

This feels like the Bill & Ted debate on whether to buy better guitars or get better better musicians.

3 Likes

@Christine1 welcome back to the fold. A beautiful puppy can I have him? :laughing:

3 Likes

Thanks Blacky. Interesting story. Safe travels out there.

1 Like