Credit Card tracking of gun etc purchases

There was a stink about a year ago about CC companies using a code to essentially create a gun owner registry. It sounded like they backed down, but progs never do seem to really get the message so they are probably continuing with the program - just more quietly.

Anybody up on the current status of this? Anyone aware of a credit card company that explicitly guards our privacy?

Thanks.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum. As far as your query, I’ve never given it much thought. I don’t use credit cards.

3 Likes

The Colorado legislature just passed a bill (SB24-066) requiring payment processors (i.e., credit card companies) to issue firearms merchants with a code for sales of firearms and firearms accessories purchased with credit cards. Here’s the bill.

2024a_066_signed.pdf (colorado.gov)

3 Likes

We’re good her, For Now. But like you said, to them this is just an inconvenient set back, they’ll keep coming…

3 Likes

GA passed House Bill 1018 which “prohibit financial institutions from requiring the use of a firearms code that distinguishes firearms retailers from other retailers; to prohibit discrimination against firearms retailers by financial institutions through the use of a firearms code; to prohibit the disclosure of certain financial records by financial institutions; to provide for petitions to the Attorney General to investigate alleged violations; to prohibit persons or government entities from keeping registries of firearms or owners of firearms…”

4 Likes

I don’t buy any of my guns with credit card, cash only. Plus since I obtained my conceal carry permit with NCIS stamp I only have to do the 4473 for my FFL records. No tracking the number of purchases nobody’s business anyway.

7 Likes

Welcome Paul 235

3 Likes