Credit Card coding is happening

Tried to purchase a firearm yesterday at my local FFL with a Cerulean Master Card issued by a bank in Missouri. The charge was denied as a “Security Violation”. When I called the CC company to ask what the problem was I was told the merchant was flagged as selling “dangerous merchandise.” So I paid cash and brought my firearm home. Apparently Master Card lied when they said they recanted their intentions to code FFLs. The staff at my FFL said this was the first occurrence they had experienced. I expect it won’t be the last. :rage:

5 Likes

According to several merchants I spoke with, it is not the credit card company that assigns a merchant code. It is the merchant! Something smells fishy (no offense to actual fish intended).

1 Like

Info here. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

The video posted above disagrees with your comment. I also have no doubt that FFLs are “coded” by BATF when they obtain their license. I suspect that ammo manufacturers and gun manufacturers will be likewise identified through their transactions with FFLs.

3 Likes

If this were universally accurate today, a lot of online ammo retailers would be out of business by now, and they are not.

4 Likes

Perusing Ammoseek, I noted one ammo supplier stating that since they don’t sell firearms, ammo sales are coded as sporting goods. Firearms must be the issue, not sure who does the coding but betting the business, as some banks are eh holes and others okay. I’m over 30k in transactions with Discover this year, my BOA and Wells Fargo cards gather much deserved dust.

2 Likes

We need CRIME CONTROL not GUN CONTROL. No matter what methods the anti-gun people try it doesn’t solve crime issues.

6 Likes

I have a Discover card and they apparently are not coding,I have no problem buying parts from firearm dealers if they accept,if they do not I go else where

3 Likes

If my bank refused such purchases I’d be closing all my accounts with them. I did so with BoA years ago when they started their crap as well as Paypal. That is the best thing we can do to combat these things. It may not be Mastercard or Visa denying the purchase but the bank, the bank is who is “lending” the money. MC and visa are just payment brokers.

6 Likes

Law Suites and People from the GOA and USCCA, and etc., have stood ground on every unconstitutional
and illegal BILL on banning guns in the past 2 years, have done a great job defending out Consitution.

The fight is not over yet.

Please vote in November.

3 Likes

I purchased a firearm with a credit card last week.

2 Likes

My LGS charges 3% for purchases paid with anything but cash so I always use cash.

1 Like

Get a Cabela’s credit card (now managed by Capitol One) or a Sheels’ card. Harder for them to deny firearms purchases.

3 Likes

I will be making a cash withdrawal & purchasing my future firearms & ammo with it. I’ll buy my holsters & other accessories with plastic but never again will I use a credit card for guns & ammo

So in effect this coding is banning you from ordering guns or ammo online or over the phone, to be shipped to you/your FFL?

I don’t buy my firearms or ammo online. But I will pay cash for firearms & ammo moving forward. If I find a fantastic deal online. I’m pretty sure that I’ll bote the bullet & go for the savings. Lol

Just purchase a gift card and use that. Totally non-traceable to you.

4 Likes

Except the merchant has records of the product being sent to your location.

You’re missing out if you don’t buy ammo online. Just sayin’

You mentioned if you found a deal online…what is your most bought ammo locally and what does it cost right now?

1 Like

If it is a firearm it will be going to an FFL. For other things ship to a drop box location.

1 Like