Confessions of a Newbie: What mistakes did you make?

What?! I did not get a shirt or a range bag. :neutral_face:

3 Likes

@Fred_G Yup, me neither. I think when we get to “Respected” we should get a free T-Shirt. They just need to put the logo on the back. I hate front logo t-shirts…

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

Seriously, why is it no one realizes you don’t need the target on your chest? Most everyone knows how to shoot frontals.

2 Likes

Well, it is usCca, they probably figure anything on the back will be covered up by a shirt or jacket anyway…

1 Like

I’ll conceal it well or excuse myself.

1 Like

Few people even know what the USCCA is and those who do won’t be those you need to worry about.

On top of that most people wearing a logo T of some sort aren’t carrying or wearing what they are advertising so I would not consider it an issue.

2 Likes

There are a variety of different promotional times and options. :woman_shrugging: And everyone who has a USCCA Membership is a winner because of the awesome benefits included in the USCCA Membership. :smiley:

6 Likes

IMPORTANT: We’d love to use the comments here for a blog article! If you would NOT like your comments used, please message me or comment below - be sure to tag me @dawn!

4 Likes

I purchased my first intended carry gun before my CCW license arrived. I picked it up at the gun shop after my three-day wait, walked straight into the gun range. I didn’t clean the gun and gave the owner’s manual a cursory glance. It was a Keltec PF-9. Very lightweight and kicked like an angry mule. After the first shot nearly launched the gun behind me, I wrestled a much firmer - and much higher - grip on the gun. I pulled the trigger, the slide ripped rearward and tore a nice chunk out of my strong side thumb. Good thing I had a handkerchief in my pocket. Good thing I know how to tie a bandage from a handkerchief. Better thing that the handkerchief was clean.

I shot that gun for a few weeks, but by the time I started carrying, I had traded it in for a Steiger Cougar (which I eventually traded in for a Glock 43).

Lessons learned - clean the new gun, read the new gun’s owner’s manual and don’t be in such a hurry to shoot the new gun.

5 Likes

I wasn’t a licensed carrier at the time- I had a guy whom I didn’t know, try to break into my house through a bedroom window. Chased him off the first nite, bought a firearm the next day, he came back the following nite and out the window I went with my firearm. Thankfully I didn’t shoot but I know now not to run after anyone.

3 Likes

Slide bites! I know y’all have (at least) one. I still have two scars on my left thumb from many years ago when I first shot my Colt Officer’s Model 380 with my left thumb wrapped above by right thumb. They aren’t very noticeable any more. But damn that hurt.

2 Likes

Walther 380 PPK/S : strange how those direct blow back operators snap that slide :blush:
smallish gun in big hand too!

3 Likes