Concealed Carry Milestones | New to Concealed Carry | USCCA

Like most of life’s journeys, the evolution from concealed carry newbie to confident daily carrier is marked by countless concealed carry milestones. While no two armed Americans travel identical routes to confident carry, some milestones seem to be fairly common. Off the top of my head, the following milestones are likely broad enough to touch thousands of us:

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/concealed_carry_milestones/
2 Likes

I first started carrying concealed almost 17 years ago in the great state of Florida when I received my first CWP. Like others I’m sure I was super conscious of the presence of that pistol carried at 3 o’clock and constantly fidgety about accidental exposure. I was the first of all my relative’s to carry concealed, but over time it turned into a monkey see monkey do situation with my family members as now at l east 10 have followed my lead and now EDC as I do. All have confessed that I was influential in them doing so also. Something which I take pride in. Over time it just becomes natural to EDC, in fact it is uncomfortable to not do. Sort of like leaving home without a cell phone. I also take great pride in the fact that in Florida tgere are over 2 million armed citizens, close to 1 in 10 people regularly carry concealed, when I started there were less than 250k. And most importantly, there are 2 quotes that sum up my feelings about being prepared by carrying. 1). “I’d rather gave a gun in hand than a cop on the phone”. 2). “When seconds count, a cop is minutes away”. And in closing this is for all the newbie CWP holders, you’re doing the right thing, don’t let anyone or any event convince you otherwise. Get training over and above the rudimentary training you were required to have to qualify for your permit, because I can tell you it wasn’t enough. And lastly, relax, although carrying a gun is an awesome responsibility don’t let it go to your head.

4 Likes

Hello. In my case I grew up around guns. My father carried every day and I was somewhat comfortable around guns. Then I started coaching travel baseball. There was a kid from another team that I really wanted to bring on to my own. He was a great little player and could have been a great addition to my team. This kid had an older brother. One day, they went to his brother’s friend house. That friend pulled a gun out of his father’s closet and they where playing/manipulating the gun. His older brother accidentally pulled the trigger, there was a round on the chamber and shot his younger brother killing him. Mayor tragedy that hit me real hard. This pushed me back to purchase a gun. My brother, being a firefighter, had been telling me for some time to get one as he had someone break in to his home and he was able to defuse the situation with police apprehending the robbers after he pretty much did it him self. He had them on the ground, hands up, gun pointed at them, while he had the police on his phone. I was ready to buy my first gun but my wife was not sold on the idea. Having kids of our own and knowing the story of the little baseball player. She new that family as well. One night, we started to get messages on our phones about a neighbor that got shot right before entering our community ( gated community). They missed every shot thank god, but ran on foot with the possibility that they had entered the community. I only had a baseball bat with me at home and felt defenseless. We did not sleep that night. Thats when she agreed to buying a gun. I immediately got my my permit, bought my first gun and trained since. My biggest milestone was getting over that fear due to the accident that the little baseball player’s family went trough. I carry now almost every day. And feel comfortable again. There are rough times surrounding us right now, everywhere, and better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. CARRY ON AND BE SAFE!

1 Like

Maybe I am unusual.
I do not know of ‘milestones’.

I have carried in one form or another for over 35 years, not always every day as you can not carry in federal buildings, but it was the federal government that sent me to become an armorer on both US and foreign firearms, and the S & W Academy, plus range time, and munitions and more……
Before that, often had a rifle or shotgun, even in the rack in the back window of the truck, even as a teenager.
Father was a Marine Drill Instructor and was taught firearms back in the 60s as a kid.

Was never bothered about carrying, open or concealed, but then I have a hard head and do not always care what others think.
Really can not think of actually meeting any milestones, unless I simply took them for granted and never noticed.

Oh… just thought of something… perhaps a milestone. I learned on revolvers and semi automatic firearms, 1911, Browning Hi-Power, TT-33, and others… the new polymer firearms I did not trust, and we even laughed at the Glock back in the early 80s… but the last laugh is on us (me and those I worked with at the time)… we spent so much time at the range, we just knew the Glock would fail, plastic gun that it was… milestone… accepting polymer firearms.

1 Like