Concealed carry during work hours

It is not illegal to carry because of the “school sponsored activity” @Ken38. But, it is a violation of your employer’s policy which can be disciplined.
I agree @GuitarJoe. I would assume it is a “school sponsored event.” I cannot comment on how Texas law would apply but school policy would apply with any associated consequences.

2 Likes

Wrong, Mike. It is illegal…even with an LTC…to carry a firearm anywhere in TX where a school sponsored activity is occurring if the district has not specifically granted you permission. Look it up!

1 Like

It’s a 3rd degree felony.

2 Likes

There’s a reason why lawyers aren’t allowed to teach LTC classes in TX unless they have an LTC Instructor License. If you refer to your LTC training materials, most everything is in there somewhere. There are annual update seminars given for free to Peace Officers and citizens with an LTC to cover anything that may have changed.

1 Like

The document I posted was from the Texas Association of School Boards, and not any LTC materials. My question wasn’t so much about the criminality of carrying outside school district property during work hours, but on how their rules applied to me as an employee at events in which the district is involved. I believe I have received good guidance, and I appreciate it very much.

2 Likes

To the best of my knowledge, that phrase isn’t clearly defined in TX law. That’s why I said what I did about the TX legislature working pretty diligently to clean up their previous messes over the past decade, but it takes time. The TX legislature likes to use these kind of phrases without clearly defining them. It’s a long and storied tradition of theirs. But the point I’m really making is that if you don’t have expressed, written permission from the district to carry “on campus,” it is my opinion that if they discover you are carrying at an event like the one you describe, they would not be pleased.

2 Likes