Concealed carry at church and/or school

It’s a balancing act, also because all it would take is one person to make one public mistake and set us back a decade

2 Likes

#2. Do you have/recommend an application process for an armed staff/security team member? If so, what’s on that application? [/quote]

I would only have a normal process as if hiring for a security company. If having served in the military, an honorable discharge. If retired police under what conditions did s/he stop being a cop, fired, quit, retire. Also did this person receive any accommodations for bravery or compitance under fire?

[/quote]

#3. Do you require concealed carry “insurance” such as USCCA or similar? [/quote]

Be nice but I found through experience that when you bring it up -“we have insurance” it raises more questions than answers. Nice to have but I wouldn’t make it a know in general. See if one of the 2A associations would include it as part of their insurance. Almost taken for granted everybody is insured.

[/quote]
#4. What training requirements do you have? Is your state’s concealed carry permit training good enough? Do you require a specific amount of annual training? Do you require specific training courses or topics to be covered? [/quote]

Most definitely a CCL or whatever your state calls it, coordinate with local police to take their training. Pass it your application proceeds to the next step. Fail, thank you for applying but no thanks

[/quote]
#5. Do you have any kind of periodic qualification? If so, do you use a specific course of fire? [/quote]

YES, along with situational train periodically throughout the year. If companies can require you to take training throughout the year, so should schools. If a situation like Uvalde arised and you have doubts, have your team trained for that.

[/quote]

#6. What does your organization pay for? Ammo for training and practice? Pistol? Holsters? Training? Travel to training? [/quote]

As a tax payer where I get taxed until I die to pay for schools I want to say yes. But I also recognize ppl are over taxed already. Maybe set up tax breaks for out of pocket expenses. I already use a CPA to do my taxes!

[/quote]

#7. Do you have a recommended or required reading list?
[/quote]

Not off the top of my head. I’m not a trainer but would ask experts in the field if they have any.

Also need to consider if they are given any authority. Like in Uvalde when going around and they find security breaches, do they only inform the principal or are given the ability to suspend or fire teachers making habitual security breaches?

Concealed Carry Class: The ABCs of Self-Defense Tools and Tactics by Tom Givens

Deadly Force - Understanding Your Right to Self Defense by Massad Ayoob

The Law of Self Defense by Andrew Branca

2 Likes

I appreciate you taking the time for feedback. Thanks so much.

Many thanks. I have read most of Branca’s book. I need to get the other two.

In the discussion about teachers/staff carrying in school, I do often hear people talking about the firearms being secured. I’m not sure whether that’s coming from someone with security expertise or from someone who is ignorant about concealed carry making a flawed assumption. Personally, I would think that concealed carry on the teacher/staff’s person makes more sense. That’s certainly a better state of readiness, and probably more secure as well.

Virginia has a really odd law about carrying in churches or places of worship. It is prohibited unless you have a “good reason.” I think that if challenged, this would have been struck down as unconstitutionally vague even before Bruen, but now even more so. Obviously, I’m sure that some individual churches would foolishly prohibit it, but as a state law I can’t see how this would be enforced.

4 Likes

Two Virginia Attorneys General ago, an AG Opinion letter said (paraphrasing) wanting to protect yourself is a good reason. Then the immediate past governor and AG Herrin in VA went heavy anti-gun; I am not sure if AG Herrin rescinded his predecessor’s “good reason” opinion letter. The current Governor Youngkin and his AG Miyares are clearly pro-gun. I moved from VA three years ago, so a current VA resident (and VCDL member?) might update us on the interpretation of that vague “good reason” law.

2 Likes