'Common-Sense' Gun Laws Rarely Make Sense | USCCA

In a recent webinar with Shannon Watts, founder of Moms Demand Action Against Gun Violence, Sen. Elizabeth Warren was discussing a bill she introduced that, in part, requires every gun sold in America to come with a lock. She firmly stated, “It’s just a basic safety feature. You can’t buy a car without brakes; you shouldn’t be able to buy a gun without a lock on it.”

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/why-senator-warrens-common-sense-gun-law-doesnt-make-sense/
3 Likes

I try to watch or read things from these anti-rights groups and people, but I, too, have difficulty continuing after a few paragraphs or minutes. Their statements are full of lies, disinformation, misinformation, out-right lack of knowledge of subject matter, and sheer lunacy. I have a high pain threshold, but reading or listening to that utter trash is more than I can typically bear. Though it is important to know what they are proposing so that we can effectively fight it.

3 Likes

“Common Sense” is one of those terms politicians use to avoid scrutiny. “Can you explain how this will help people?” “Oh, it’s just common sense.” Be very wary of politicians who pre-emptively use the term before they can even be questioned. In fact, listen for the politicians on your side (left or right) who use it. When a politician doesn’t want critical questions, you should start asking critical questions.

4 Likes

Respectfully, the comment, " [every gun sold in America to come with a lock ](https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/how-to-lock-up-a-gun-without-a-gun-safe/). She firmly stated, “It’s just a basic safety feature. You can’t buy a car without brakes; you shouldn’t be able to buy a gun without a lock on it.”

You can clearly see how much she knows and the comment is written in the 18th century. If she
needs locks and keys to go with those locks, I can give a large wheel barrel full to her for free and so she will not feel bad about safety issues and feel safe with her locks.

Bill.

2 Likes

Shannon Watts and Elizabeth Warren are idiots. Because the last 4 NEW FIREARMS that I bought DID HAVE SOME TYPE OF LOCK ON IT OR IT CAME WITH A LOCK. Now used ones that I’ve bought did not come with a lock. But from what I was told in the gun store by law every NEW FIREARM HAS TO HAVE SOME WAY TO LOCK IT. So they come with a locking device of some type when NEW.

2 Likes

New member here so I apologize for being a bit late to the party. The author makes a great point about brakes being an integral part of a vehicle and wondering how locks on firearms can be at all similar. Maybe a more accurate statement, from Sen. Warren et. al. would be brakes on the car and a safety device on the firearm. As most familiar with firearms are aware, new firearms indeed come with several safety devices, even if there is no external safety provided (think striker fired or revolvers here). Locks, it seems to me, are more analogous with a garage or a wheel lock, neither of which are provided by the dealership nor endorsed by Sen. Warren. In the end, both deadly weapons (automobiles and firearms) require a responsible operator capable of making sound decisions during unimpaired operation.

1 Like

Only really one thing to say. WHEN SECONDS COUNT THE POLICE ARE ONLY MINUTES AWAY. My gun is on my hip or on the bedside holster. Unlocked!

1 Like