Commentary: COVID-19 lock-down gives Americans a taste of tyranny

@Fred_G. All the info was hypothetical. I run IT Company, so in my case regular work is almost the same as work from home. I do not run big projects now, but to be honest it doesn’t bother me. I have been thinking about slowing down for a long time… now I have what I’ve wished for :joy:

One of my Customers lost a lot of Employees because they found this situation profitable. They filed unemployment claiming they were fired, which was not true. I don’t know how the system works, if they gonna be caught or not, but something like this really pisses me off. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Stay Safe ! Do not work too hard… :wink:

Well, here, if you quit or get fired, no unemployment for you… Not sure how the $600 federal stuff works. You only get unemployment if you are out of work through no fault of your own. And I hope anyone that tries to sit at home when they can work do get fired. Then no job and no unemployment.

I would rather work making $500 than sit at home getting $600 for not working.

1 Like

:+1: :handshake:

Problem is that too many of the young’uns don’t see it that way. They also don’t understand that the gubmint doesn’t have any money and nothing is free.

As for the tyranny, I admit I was willing to go along with Governor Chicken Little (of WI) at first because there were a lot of questions that needed answering (even though things weren’t adding up right from the beginning). After a couple of weeks, it became more clear that my skepticism was well founded but now it’s a lot harder getting the tyrant to back down. He may be crushed in the next week with any luck.

2 Likes

Ain’t that the truth. They better be careful what they wish for in equality…they will be equally poor!

2 Likes

I’m a little fuzzy on how it works, but I know that some of my friends who have businesses complain about paying for unemployment insurance… in other words, paid by the company/employer.

I would assume that the reason why the federal government doesn’t just pay the employer directly (like the stimulus check) because part of the funding for unemployment is from within the state, and has already been paid for. The stimulus check is from the federal government, and related to the federal budget. I could be wrong here, but that’s my assumption.

Additionally, another friend was complaining about a coworker who wanted to get fired so that person could get unemployment +$600. My friend said that this person wouldn’t have qualified for unemployment insurance if the position at the company was open after his departure. This is a secondhand conversation, so I don’t know the credibility of the statements.

On a side note, I would be interested in how we change international “financial aid” that noone talks about these days. Here are two nice government website applets (I would recommend using a computer browser instead of a phone browser to view) listing US foreign aid and Foreign assistance:

1. USAid.gov - Dashboard
  2. ForeignAssistance.gov - Map
1 Like

To be honest… I don’t think too much about it anymore.
What works for me and for my Customers (who actually keeps my business going, paying for my services) is The Paycheck Protection Program.
I received money from PPP which will cover 8 weeks of payroll. Nobody went for unemployment, I can pay my employees, I can serve my Customers, my Customers pays for my services… I’m still in business - everybody is happy.
Maybe everything is slower but still rolling…
And most important - nobody cheated the System !

3 Likes

In Louisiana, if you quit or get fired, no unemployment for you! I have heard of people who don’t want to go back to work asking their boss not to report them to the unemployment office… :rage:

1 Like