Church Security - is your church ahead of the curve?

Please be full alert in every area of your security and please always communicate. Many of our
people are Navy and will defend and protect at any cost. 12 of these gentlemen are from the
Korean and Vietnam ERA and still very active in life. Then there is your training to go to and that
is in MAY,2020; We are going to take classes that will help us legally and better organizing. We
are all trained, but our training will fit our task at hand, COMMUNICATIONS ! No sleeping on the
job.

There are around 30 firearms and all people have need to work together. I am the person that helped turn the wheel on these plans and the Education for USCCA, I helped set the Foundations. Time, Prayer, Research and the Willingness to learn is a Gift. Guns and ammo do not have a Brain, Heart, or Feet ! I am not the only person on that team and it takes all of us.

Our Safety and Security in our church is to prevent any Harm, or Death in our Services and to prevent World War 2.5, by using any firearms. Thank You !

2 Likes

I thought I had this whole thing pretty much figured out until I moved to a new place. Started going to a Church that is waiting for their building to be cleared by the inspectors and they have been meeting in High School theater building since November. I don’t believe that even though no classes go on during the weekend that a weapon is permitted inside the building. So till we get into the new building we are pretty much a gun free zone.

yes our church does have a security person at present and working on getting a team together. issues such as insurance ,competence and many others were raised and discussed. meanwhile I have stepped forward and volunteered to be considered for the team . in a cowboy church I KNOW we have more than a few concealed carry people in attendance as well

1 Like

I am a member of my church security team. We have just recently started putting one together on paper but, unfortunately, it looks like at the moment we are going to be rather limited with what we will be able to do. For the sake of keeping our church as safe as possible, I won’t say the name of it, but our Pastor won’t allow anyone in the building at any time with a concealed weapon. He has his reasons and I respect his position and wishes, however, I do carry concealed TO church and leave it in my vehicle in the parking lot when I get there.

2 Likes

This might be a legal issue. I did night patrol for an apartment complex in Texas. We were “safety monitors” rather than security. The controlling agency here is PSB (Private Security Board) and has some specific requirements to those who would call themselves security. Further, any litigation that might follow an event would suggest a less onerous mission if you could say you were a safety monitor as opposed to “security”. Lawyers love to massage this kind of stuff for juries. My 2 cents.
Ross8

Late reply and I’m not an attorney. If your congregation was “renting” the school venue, then the school is not a school: It is a church (by contract). This would definitely be worth one hour of time from a good lawyer in the know but I think you would have been okay, presuming the church venue laws in your state.
My 2 cents,
Ross8

Another philosophy is to be “Left of Bang”.

Hows he going to know? Concealed means CONCEALED.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the topic. This is not the place for that conversation.

1 Like

I totally understand what you’re saying and totally agree, however, out of respect for his position, authority and decision on the matter, I abide by his policies and decisions. Maybe one day he will change his decision.

1 Like

His reasons don’t matter where the lives of other’s are at stake. I am a Christian!!! I believe God will take care of me and my family, having said that-- we are given minds and the ability to reason. The Bible is very clear on self defense (in fact, many self-defense laws have a direct path back to the Bible). I store extra food and water-- especially with current circumstances-- I still believe God will take care of me and my family-- BUT I use the mind and reasoning He’s given me and prepare. The same applies to firearms.

from Issachar, men who understood the times and knew what Israel should do–200 chiefs, with all their relatives… 1 Chron. 12:32

“If a thief is caught breaking in at night and is struck a fatal blow, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed; 3 but if it happens after sunrise, the defender is guilty of bloodshed.s 22:2-3a

4 Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked. Ps. 82:4

36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. LK 22:36

And about the entire book of Nehemiah.

I would be hard pressed to stay at such a church.

1 Like

I totally get what you’re saying and agree with you wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, under South Carolina law, the decision is up to the Pastor of a church or his designated authority when it comes to being able to carry on a church campus. I don’t agree with his policy at all and feel the same way as you about the safety of others. I also feel the same way as you about using the common sense that God has given us and being aware of the times that we live in. As I stated before, I can only hope and pray that somehow one day he changes his position to be a little more open. For now, I trust God to protect us from harm when we meet for services.

2 Likes

I am equally convinced that God will honor your loyalty and obedience.

Perhaps a trip to the range will convert him-- lets face it… SHOOTING IS FUN!!!

1 Like

Now that’s something I haven’t thought about!! Might try that!! Actually, his thinking that not everyone should be able to have a gun. meaning people with mental issues, and I get that thought process. He feels that if he lets a few people be able to carry weapons on to campus, then he’ll have to let everyone, even people that shouldn’t have them. Again, while I don’t agree with this line of thinking, I respect his policy. As you said, God knows my heart and will honor my loyalty and obedience.

1 Like

In Nebraska, the Pastor or board has to actually ask you to carry in the Church. ONLY those asked know who… just a thought-- he doesn’t have to advertise who…

1 Like

That has been a thought of mine as well. He could allow certain people to carry, just not publicize who is carrying and only allow it to be people on the security team, too. At least that would be someone potentially able to answer a deadly threat, should, God forbid, one ever happen.

2 Likes

since the last time I posted our Church moved into the new building and even with Covid 19 we have a pretty good attendance. Texas is one of the states where Concealed carry in a church is permitted. In fact if the Church elders/Pastor doesn’t want people to carry they have to post proper signage. They could announce a restriction from the pulpit I supposed and ask people to leave or post it in the program and if discovered ask people to leave I suppose but than doesn’t happen often at most of the churches around here. The security team isn’t armed officially I don’t believe.

1 Like