Chronic Illness

Would a person with a chronic illness like diabetes be scrutinized about blood sugar levels if involved in a a self defense shooting?

2 Likes

I ask this because I’m a a type 1 diabetic and it’s a question I’ve had since getting HCP.

1 Like

@John150 I’m guessing that EVERYthing is going to be scrutinized if the police force or the prosecutor are inclined.

I’ve not heard of it being a factor (maybe @MikeBKY or @Tom_Grieve can say if they have) but if you get a prosecutor who is intent on going after you, anything they can use, they will.

If you manage your blood sugar well, and keep some records to indicate your diligence and show your attention to it, your lawyer will be able to use that as part of your defense (if needed).

1 Like

@John150 I am not familiar with HCP other than as an acronym for Healthcare Professional. Tell me more about it and I may be able to be more help. Other than that, as a diabetic you would need to be cognizant of the issues with hypo or hyperglycemia that could cause adverse effects on your ability to carry and/or defend yourself. If an incident occurred during one of these events, it could easily be pointed to by a prosecutor. However, if your diabetes is kept under control and this is documented in your medical records, there should not be any truly significant issues. If uncontrolled, then it could be a very big issue. But as @Zee noted, a prosecutor will look at all of the facts and circumstances to build his/her case.

2 Likes

HCP in Tennessee stands for handgun carry permit.

3 Likes

I was going with “Health Care Program” :laughing:

Let’s see… we’ve got HCP, LCH, CCL, CDWL, CPL, CCW, CWP, CCP… I’m sure there must be more :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

A KY license is a CCDW for Concealed Carry Deadly Weapon and includes all deadly weapons under Kentucky law, not just handguns.

3 Likes

Mike can the prosecutor gain access to your health records or are they protected by HIPPA laws?

2 Likes

They can subpoena the records with proper notice required by HIPAA. Even if the defendant were to object, if there is a valid reason to gain access to them, the courts will order the records produced.

2 Likes

So filling out all that healthcare privacy paperwork is a waste of trees, if Big Brother is after you.

3 Likes

Thanks. I need to learn more about this topic.

1 Like

We need to start paying mikeBKY for his services.

3 Likes

I know hypoglycemia can mimic being drunk, why I’m very careful about avoiding them.

2 Likes

I appreciate that but no need. I thoroughly love the Community and the contributions folks make. I am also confident if anyone here has something going on in Kentucky or know someone who does, they’ll think of me first.

3 Likes

Filling out the paperwork is acknowledging what your rights are and allowing people you choose to have access to your records. However, the law lists several exceptions and one of those is by court order and a subpoena is a court order.

3 Likes

@Zee there is also the CHP - Concealed Hangun Permit or CCHP - Carry Concealed Hangun Permit. I’ve seen both of them used in NC. :laughing:

1 Like

Texas is LTC-license to Carry.

1 Like

Depends on your state. In states like TX and FL there is no mandatory blood draw after a defensive incident but there are states in which it is required.

In the latter the presumption is you’re guilty until proven innocent.

3 Likes