CHANGE: How do you cope with it? Serious and funny responses welcome

One thing for certain is that things will change. Some things we can control but a lot of things happen outside of our control. Even good changes can be stressful. So the question arises: How do YOU cope with it all? Help me out… What can we do to keep our perspective, maintain hope, and stay grounded?? This can include anything from owning firearms and the love of shooting to singing in the rain. Let’s roll…

2 Likes

Change is happening every day around us. The weather changes from season to season. If a person looks back on older generations you would hear an echo of, the younger generation is going to destroy America! In the 50s, the Rock n Roll stuff is going to ruin America! 60’s Dang Hippies are ruining everything! After the civil war and slavery was abolished, America is going to be ruined! All of these are changes and they have always been, from the ages long time gone to the present. Now that the world is no longer flat, and the moon is not made of cheese the world has seem to become a smaller and smaller planet. With instant news and communication, the knowledge of information that we did not have before has opened our minds to the big differences going on in the world. Here we are, Rock and roll has not destroyed us yet, Hippies are now politicians, and the next generation is going to destroy the world! The world will evolve and through all of it, God will still be on the throne and his will be done on earth as it is in Heaven!

6 Likes

I deal with change by remaining a minimalist - in this material world, I divide things into three groups - “Need” - “Want” - “Nice to Have”. Think about shopping for a car, with all the choices you have today. All of them boil down to having one thing - reliable, personal transportation. Most consumer advisors will tell you to avoid falling in love with a particular make and model, and look at your options. FYI

4 Likes

Cope with what? :thinking:
Do you mean everyday life? :smiley:

Every person has different approach.

I don’t think it’s so bad to think about changing my style of life. Maybe some adjustments, but nothing really big.
There is nothing that will take my happiness away from me and my Family, as long as we stay together.
Positive thinking keep us strong, no matter what. There is always somebody who’s life is worse.
I’ve been taking lessons from all weak and bad times, when everything seemed to be falling apart, to use that strength for current times.
Hope and consolidation - these are values I’m living with.

Seems like a lot of those sentiments were about resisting change…remember long hair on men and the Beatles invasion? Now their music is considered classic. I ask myself, what does this change want to teach me/us? What is good about it? What is not so good? Apply it to Covid and all the changes in the last two years.

1 Like

I like that. It might help me make better decisions. I constantly purge ‘stuff’ I don’t really need anymore. Keep it simple, clean, and avoid excess material things. How many (fill in the blanks) do we really need? It’s something I do that I don’t want to change!

Remember Desiderata? Always some one worse off and better off than you/me. It seems though that even if one is steadfast in their lifestyle and values, the outer world is changing, whether we like it or not. Adapting to it is the tricky part. That’s what I mean by ‘cope’. Examples: someone you love dies. That is a change you have no control over and how does one go forward with that? Everything changes in that moment. I have lost loved ones and I will never be the same. Everything shifted, grief welcomed me in. Sometimes, it is literally one hour at a time, one moment at a time to adjust to major changes emotionally, psychologically, physically, spiritually. And the ‘how’ of how one does it, is what this is about.

1 Like

Covid, like any other plague is not new to the world but the way we deal with it has. Medical practices still consist of separation from others to avoid spreading it. It raised my curiosity about the changes from the Spanish flu era to the modern era to the differences in dealing with it!

1 Like

I was thinking you had refereed to current World situation.

My attitude towards the life was, is and will be the same, no matter what the situation is.
If I lose someone, it hurts but eventually I understand that this is how the Universe works. The level of pain and its duration depend on if that lost was natural or not. Pain may go away or converts to anger, but proper understanding the situation keeps us strong.
Once we find the goal, and my goal has always been - HAPPINESS, we have to just go through our lives to achieve that goal. Once achieved - keep it.
It is so simple. Sometimes I don’t understand, why people change simple things to complicated ones. :thinking:

@Todd30
True! It also reminded me that life can be uncertain, what was not ok one day (e.g. going into a bank with a mask on), is now expected. “normal” has changed. We went into social seclusion, for the most part, and began to fear breathing the same air as someone else. Change. How do I cope? Use good judgement, wear the damn mask, and laugh at memes. If I cant find the humor in stuff, beam me up Scottie.

1 Like

@Jerzees
The question applies to anything you want to talk about. World situation or whatever. Being happy does sound simple but its easier said than done at times, in my opinion. It sounds like your beliefs are strong and they help you through hard times. That is a wonderful thing. I try to keep it simple but I find human beings are quite complex. Not good or bad, we just are. If what you say works for you, then get me some of that!

2 Likes

Inspirational quotes keep me going…

1 Like

Time change: Why are we still dong this?

4 Likes

Another new change… LOL

3 Likes

Originally, this was an idea from Benjamin Franklin for saving candle-wax. I think AZ is the only state that refuses to observe it. The Stonehenge meme is clever.

2 Likes

I have bad allergies and I have noticed that with the mask my allergies were minimalized! Now I will be wearing one every time I mow the grass. There is some good that comes from the mask!

5 Likes

I’ve always known this isn’t permanent. Even when I was locked up, even when drugs ravaged my life, when my X was doing the neighborhood… I knew things would get better, I never let a moment define a life time.

5 Likes

That’s one of the ‘how’s’ I’m talking about. Reminding yourself this too shall pass and get better. I use the hardest times in my life as benchmarks when another hard time shows up. If I got through THAT, I can do this.

3 Likes