Cell phone harassment question

Hi all,

I wasn’t sure if there was a better place to ask this question or if there was an article about it, so forgive me for any oversight.

Lately, it seems that people are using their cell phone to video record or photograph strangers without permission. People are being recorded for not wearing masks, for supporting a political issue, or for other perceived slights. The cell phone camera has become a weapon used to shame or dox people.

If I am being recorded, say for having a bumper sticker, or if I see someone else being unjustly recorded, it feels intrusive and I feel the need to ask or tell the recorded to back off.

I know we have been told to avoid altercations and confrontations. What happens if you decide that to stand up for yourself or someone else, and the recorder becomes aggressive? What if they refuse to stop recording?

I guess my question is, is the best option for when you are being recorded without permission is to walk away as quickly and peacefully as possible?

8 Likes

Yes, just walk away. In public you have no expectation of privacy and are most likely being baited into becoming the wrong type of youtube star

21 Likes

I agree with the bold statement on the bottom 100 percent. GOD bless you.

8 Likes

Yup, just ignore them. Act as if you do not see them at all it will pi$$ them off all the more, I have used this strategy as a Corrections Officer many times and it works.
Now if they impede your progress and or get in your face forcefully tell them to get away, if they touch you or grab you then all bets are off. :+1:

23 Likes

Be your own best defense. If someone has their phone out recording you and verbally attacking you it generally means they want you to respond aggressively. Not sure how that logic works but it seems to be what is happening. Agree with @BRUCE26 once they lay hands on you … well, do what you need to do to stay safe. If possible recover the phone after an altercation should one occur.

Cheers,

Craig6

17 Likes

Thanks all!

3 Likes

Furthermore, watch your 6, you could become distracted and not be aware of what’s coming from any direction. It’s very possible, that as soon as you attempt to negotiate or respond in any way to the phone freak in front, you could be stabbed in the back by hundreds of phone freaks.
When my family and I shop, we usually travel in a squad wedge formation, with tactical fire team in rear. I almost mean this to be funny, but have you seen, Portland or Brooklyn? In those locations I might consider a bounding overwatch. Hell! Maybe it’s time to call all my buddies to go shopping in platoon squad line formation!

17 Likes

I’d follow what @BRUCE26 and @Craig6 great advice on this! I’m not a corrections officer like bruce (but I did have a million of working the register jobs), so trust me the calmer you stay the more upset they get. Don’t take the bait and give them anything they can edit.

7 Likes

Very valid question. As has been said, no expectation of privacy, therefore you can ask them to stop, politely, however they do not have to. You are probably being baited was my next thought.

4 Likes

Well, here in Louisiana you can be recorded or record in any business or anywhere in public. If you don’t want to be seen on camera don’t go out.

Although I believe in privacy but that remains inside your home, property, files ext. ext. Because this might be an unpopular opinion but I believe in the right to record in public and it goes right into the first amendment if you think about it

4 Likes

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. I also did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Some states do not allow the videoing of children, and if they are following you around making a nuisance of themselves you may possibly be able to get the police to respond to a disturbing the peace call.

However for me, I would just turn my phone on and leave.

4 Likes

Sounds like what you’re talking about and again I’m no lawyer either yet anyway

Is stalking . …

Which is a crime. Unless they have a media licence (not that agree with that permit ether) they can’t just chase you down public roads. And then even for media there’s a paparazzi law as most know.

However I do believe you are correct about recording children in some states anyways

2 Likes

One thing about this is the one who’s recording has the advantage of studying the target first.
It’s also highly possible that they’re not alone.

I would watch my six and withdraw from the situation but if I could safely do so, I would pull out my phone and record them too.

5 Likes

Great question. Thanks for asking.

4 Likes

I have not been in that situation. My shopping habits make it hard. I grocery shop in a small local rural grocery store at 8 in the morning and there are like three people there. Everywhere else is places like the gun shop. IF you find yourself being recorded, you need to kick it into orange as something is about to go down. They either want you to react violently, or something is coming your way. See all the videos out there of “kids” blindsiding people down the street with a punch to the side or back of the head. Drop your cart and head to customer service, a place with lots of people and cameras, or if you are walking down the street, duck into a store and do the same thing. Get ready to call the police or have someone call the police. If it is safe to do so, maybe get a picture of them for the police, but something is happening, and no scenario is good for you.

8 Likes

I fully expect I’m being recorded at all times when I leave the house…doorbells, home security, businesses, traffic cameras…and annoying people with cell phones.

:movie_camera::camera_flash::selfie::iphone::eyes:

5 Likes

I agrees with @Marcus64, @Bruce26 . I am a police officer and I have made many vehicle stops, and encountered angry drivers. During their angry tirade I would remain calm and this would make them more angry until they calmed and complied to my instructions. Stay calm with the phone recorders until they cross the line.

8 Likes

Welcome to the family brother and good to have you here, god bless you.

2 Likes

Another stay calm agreement here and get out of dodge. People have the right to record and photograph you unless they are using the video or photo for monetary gains, such as a photographer utilizing your likeness in a photo to sell for print work. If they are recording people it is because they are attempting to get a rise out of someone and become youtube or TikTok famous. I have had to deal with this many times running calls when I worked as a paramedic on an ambulance. People always want to record things and unfortunately they get their jollies off recording someone’s worse day and posting it to youtube to get likes. We would just allow them to film as if they weren’t even there unless their presence caused a disturbance or there was a potential to violate a patients HIPAA rights. Even then we would just instruct them to back away to a safe distance. It got especially worse though when a captain in the city I worked in assaulted a combative patient and it was caught on film. After that, everyone had their cameras out when we arrived on scene and some would attempt to provoke us to see what we would do as they though it meant a big payout to them if they sued.

As @Brian139 said, get out of the situation. If you cannot successfully fallback and retreat the situation completely, attempt to get someone else’s attention. Customer service, a manager, HR rep, security guard, etc and call the police to let them know you are being harassed by an individual with a camera.Attempt to get them on camera so you have an accurate description of them for PD and the stores security. Typically if you pay these people no attention though they will typically just back off and stop wasting their time on you. Be aware of their actions but act as if they are not even there. If you see people at an exit with cameras or they just look shady, attempt another exit. If you see them before you even enter the area or the store, avoid the situation completely and go somewhere else or come back at a later time. I like to relate it to the girls scouts and their delicious cookies. I can only buy so many boxes before I start to go broke. After I have had my fill, I just have to avoid them entirely. I am aware they are there but I avoid direct eye contact. Once they lock eyes with you though, it’s over, and before you know it you have bought 5 more boxes of those damn thin mints or somoa’s!

7 Likes

Thank you so much! And thank you for keep us all safe, be careful out there.

3 Likes