CCW Trip to the hospital in a ambulance

Many paramedics and EMTs have training in how to render a firearm safe. They will usually do so and then turn it over to the police to be secured until you or your next of kin can retrieve it.

11 Likes

I’m sure that if you are unconscious and the firearm gets discovered in the ER they will turn it over to Law Enforcement for safe keeping.

13 Likes

This is why I make sure I don’t forget to bring my ccw permit with me. On couple occasions, I realized I didn’t have my wallet with me so driving and carrying without ID. U-turn.

14 Likes

MI has duty to inform. I do carry my ID and credentials separate from my wallet; in a chest pocket of my shirt. All to avoid potential exposure by not having to reach for my “main” wallet and inadvertently "advertising . If they’re carting you away in an ambulance LEOs will be there and be informed. I’d also let EMTs know as well; as a courtesy.

8 Likes

Get a receipt and business card of the police officer who took it.

17 Likes

One of my favorite Q’s, thanks!

Check out some of the priors, by typing key terms in “search”.

In a most un-gun-friendly town, nurse said, yes, we saved it in security for him. Weigh your options: Ask officer, ask hospital security, carry small-portable locking box in your book bag, some hospitals have safe’s in each room, you will be wheeled from room to room, you could be sedated later, stuff does get lost “some times”, do your pre-homework on this now.

https://vaulteksafe.com/products/vaultek-view-all-lifepod-series/

4 Likes

As a volunteer Firefighter/EMT for 30 years I have seen a few occasions of this. One was a MC accident an ER Nurse and a Dr. were in traffic, and pitched in to help the victim. He was carrying a very nice Kimber 1911, cocked and locked in an IWB holster which they could has easily removed without taking the gun out of it. Instead the Nurse pulled it from the holster holding it like a dirty diaper, flagging nearly everyone on the scene. I took it from her, went over to the side of the highway, cleared it, and gave it to the State Trooper. The really disappointing thing was that he laid it on the hood of his car, a few feet from a big group of onlookers, any of who could have snatched that nice expensive 1911 and disappeared with it.
We tried after that incident to encourage training for responders in the safe and secure handling of firearms, but got a lot of resistance from the “risk averse” leadership.

14 Likes

Love it when people allow their fear of risk to make everyone less safe:(

14 Likes

I just did this for the first time ever. Had changed from pants to shorts and forgot to transfer the wallet over. Fortunately I live in a constitutional carry state so wasn’t illegally carrying but did have to turn around so I wouldn’t be driving without my drivers license.

8 Likes

Rendering a firearm safe and ensuring proper accountability and chain of custody was part of our training. It’s too bad your “leadership” wasn’t forward thinking. Firearms are getting more, not less, common in everyday contact.

Stay safe and smart out there, friend.

7 Likes

Yes, there is no duty to inform in Illinois. That said, I would tell the officer. He/she would be the most qualified to make sure the firearm is secured, most likely in a secure locker at the hospital, or taken to the local PD. When they get the leg patched up, retrieve your firearm.

6 Likes

My CCW permit is with my license. If my license is removed from my wallet, my CCW permit is present as well.

14 Likes

Good point. Mine is as well, they’re both right together.

9 Likes

Ditto. And I always use my CCW instead of my DL as ID for FFL purchases.

7 Likes

My local LEO’s will take possession of the firearm unless a family member is on site with the ability to take possession. Both my children would be able to. Normally LEO’s will take the firearm to the station. Once out of the hospital, I would pick it up there. I know the firearm is legit since I purchased it from a County cop (awesome dude). They will do a serial # search!

6 Likes

I walk around a downtown area a lot, getting hit by a car, a train, a scooter, a bicycle is a very real possibility…
I’ve actually thought about this, I’ve decided the answer would be:
Me, "Excuse me Ms. EMT would you ask that officer to come over here.
Me, “Officer I have a firearm at 4:30 it is condition zero”
The police have probably already seen my permit, it’s right behind my DL in a window in my wallet so it shouldn’t be too surprising to them.

6 Likes

There are no right answers here. I am a retired LEO after 38 yrs of service. I know my agency would have allowed me to secure it and the owner would be allowed to retrieve it without any difficulty. The only inconvenience the owner would have had was scheduling the pick up time when the property clerk was available. On the other hand I know an agency that demands you pay a fortune (filing fees, lost time at work, hearings etc.) to go to court. This agency mandates you file with the court for a writ of replevin if you want it back (if they take a firearm into their possession). Then and only then if you get a court order to return it, they make you get a background check (in this case it could take days+++) and make you wait and schedule an appointment to get it picked up. I do not have any advice but it makes you think. I think one option is to have one of those book sized lock box safes in your car and get some assistance locking it up and decide if the box stays locked to the car or if it is coming with you.

9 Likes

Good point, that we are not always in our car or own car when it happens. We can be on foot, less gear, less options. Not advice here. But if one does not get it secured in field by LEO, or if one chooses not to, once in the ER, I’ve thought about pocket carrying a soft bag in case I need to at least cover its identity for some subtlety.

5 Likes

Sounds like San Fran or New York; Either one would be practically impossible to retrieve. Have not heard of a major lawsuit yet to deal with these awful cities.

4 Likes

Cases/covers: When I first saw this, I was stunned. Innovative award? I can see lots of different scenarios for this one. Even comes with a lock, albeit not a strong one by any means, but a real lock. I’d kinda like it for when I’m driving. Was just as blown away on the wording of the description, just what the heck do they mean by

“Comes with a locking zipper to keep honest people honest a little longer”?

4 Likes