CCW and crossing state lines while driving

I drive Uber/Lyft in Pennsylvania (well, I did prior to the COVID) and there have been times I have had fairs to New York and New Jersey, which are not reciprocating states. I can’t take the gun home. What should I do?

4 Likes

This is a tough one! I grew up in the people’s republic of New Jersey. They just flat out straight up do not look kindly on this stuff! I would re-think about crossing into hostile territory. Not only will you get in trouble for the pistol, then they will get you for the hollow points. Also some of the laws are so crazy and changing constantly the officers of the courts have a hard time keeping up. I can’t speak for NY.
I am no attorney, yet I would not take the fare. Unfortunately you maybe playing with fire.
I lived in the Califon area,between Clinton and long valley. Hunterton county. I was always so careful just going to the range in Hackettstown 20min north and I lived there.

2 Likes

That’s the only bad part about Uber/Lyft driving, you don’t always know where your going until after you pick up the fair.

2 Likes

I tip my hat to ya for hustling! Yet, even if you have a safe in the trunk, you would have to get out and unload lock it up and do this with a client in the car?
Me personally, I would not chance it! That will be alot of driving to pay attorney fees.

2 Likes

Don’t go to those states. I have heard horror stories about truckers who, even following the rules, getting in trouble with the police. Those states are not gun friendly. Which is ironic because they are the US version of a 3rd world state.

4 Likes

Bad idea and not worth the risk. I personally know someone who got in a heap of trouble for doing something very similar when going into New Jersey.

3 Likes

@Steve108

I think you may want to look at your agreement with Lyft and Uber as neither allows drivers or passengers to carry a firearm permitted or otherwise.

But you would seriously be pushing your luck driving into New Jersey or New York with a firearm. You are looking at felony time not misdemeanors. Which coincidentally takes away your right to own a firearm.

3 Likes

I have never tried it, but does the USCCA app send you a notification when you cross into different states? And perhaps the firearm laws?

1 Like