CC and being taken to a ER

Has anyone had a situation where they needed to be taken to the ER (for a non gun related incident) in an ambulance while carrying? What did you do with your weapon? Or what is the proper thing to do especially if you are alone?
Locally we had a incident where a man was transported to the ER and while he was in the room shot himself and passed. Now you can imagine the up roar going on.

2 Likes

Been on both sides of that event. Several times in my medical career I have been tending to or in close proximity to an unresponsive patient when a firearm was discovered. Often times “Gun” is yelled, which elicits a variety of responses from various folks, some drop to the floor, others reach for their gun, others reach out to capture it. Other times the patient will be responsive, and will tell someone he/she is carrying a gun, there is a protocol for that in most ED’s out there.

There have been other instances where the unconscious individual comes too and decides they want out (of the ED) and start going for the gun (they are honestly in fear for their lives and no matter how bad off they are, they want out). Those are pretty dicey as you don’t know what you have or what you are dealing with. Very often in that scenario you had better prepare for “visitors”.

In the case you speak of, there is a whole lot more going on than most will ever pay attention to other than he offed himself in the ED.

The best thing you can do if you are being taken to the ED is to communicate with the Ambulance crew (if you are able) and tell them you are armed and have a permit. DO NOT let them relieve you of your firearm!!! UNLESS it is a medical necessity. Wait to get inside the ED. As stated above there is always a policy regarding personal property, including firearms.

Best case turn it over to family/friend prior to the Ambulance.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

Yes I have. I’ve had it happen to me twice. Once it was heat related and I was teaching some 12 year old girls how to shoot. And the heat got to me and I went down. The RSO’s called EMS and when they got to the range they took me to the ER. One of the parents followed us to the ER in my car where they also put all of my shooting gear and guns. The second time I went to a ER clinic from the gun range that I was starting a shooting match that I ran. And I had to leave because of some really bad pains that I was having. And before I went in I locked my gun in my car. And I was in there for a few minutes and the Paramedics were called and they loaded me up and took me to the ER at a hospital. And my car was locked in the ER Clinic’s parking lot until my wife could go and get home. So the best thing to do is if possible is to have someone that you trust to take your firearm and lock it up in your car or to keep it safe for you until you can get it back.

3 Likes

Good question. I’d love to see more comments from EMT and ER professionals.

4 Likes