Carrying at high school football field away from school?

So, if there is a “school owned” football field but it is not on the same property as the school, is that considered “School Grounds?” It’s not in a “school zone.” Can I carry legally?!

2 Likes

What state? What permit(s) do you have?

The most likely answer is “no”.

The states I have checked don’t say that the school and, IDK, “property connected to the school” are off limits, or anything like that, they have all been something to the effect of any property owned/leased/used by the school and a school owned football field, in the states I have checked, would be off limits.

Not that I am a lawyer or anything (I’m not)

3 Likes

Massachusetts - I am an CCW permit holder…

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/ma-gun-laws/

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section10

Whoever, not being a law enforcement officer and notwithstanding any license obtained by the person pursuant to chapter 140, carries on the person a firearm, loaded or unloaded, or other dangerous weapon in any building or on the grounds of any elementary or secondary school, college or university without the written authorization of the board or officer in charge of the elementary or secondary school, college or university shall be punished by a fine of not more than $1,000 or by imprisonment for not more than 2 years or both. A law enforcement officer may arrest without a warrant and detain a person found carrying a firearm in violation of this paragraph.

This is just me, but I would not. If I really wanted to, I would ask an attorney in the state first

5 Likes

Some states CCW CCL laws are so lengthy, it might cover / go over that question. Depending on the state.

1 Like

I would say no, it’s still a school sponsored event on school owned property. I would think the same rules apply. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I should clarify…this is NOT a school event. But our facility permit was issued by school board I believe…We are just using their facility.

1 Like

It’ still school property. Then why don’t you call the school board. :thinking:

2 Likes

I’d ask on Northeastshooters.com Forums
but being in Massachusetts, I’m betting the answer is not only no, but a big darn hell no.

3 Likes

The few states I have looked at the laws in detail specify athletic grounds and sports fields owned by the schools as part of the prohibited carry areas. They also specify public parks and sports venues when being used for official school athletic events.
You will have to read the laws for the state you are in. I suggest https://handgunlaw.us

1 Like

As for me I always carry and did so going to My ids and grand kids school for what ever reason,and I ALWAYS think WHAT IF happens and the way I carry I don’t print and i would have to be physically searched for any one would know that I am carrying and I am so used to carrying that I am natural with the weapon,but as I said if I am around and a bad guy starts firing at the Teachers/kids,I would take the person down with no remorse at all!I sure would not stand around for an hour as the LEO in Uvalde did

1 Like

I wouldn’t bet my CCW or freedom on it.

Florida forbids carrying to sporting events, unless it is specifically a shooting competition.
School property + sports + MA - this is too dicey. I wouldn’t.

Don’t do it you would be better if you left it in your locked box away from any grounds that can be labeled school grounds but please access the USCCA ‘s 50 state information about your state for definitive actions instead of my conjecture.