Carry = Holster

@Scoutbob open carry or concealed, most states that don’t hate the 2nd amendment have a clause or two in their law about securing the weapon on your person. If someone is able to snatch your weapon and it is not somehow secured against being easily taken by another individual, you could be held liable. If a person easily takes the weapon and commits a misdemeanor or felony, you could be guilty in my state for not properly securing the weapon.
Of course even with good “locking” holsters, there could be a situation where the latch can be defeated, and our law is not specific about what level of security is needed. It is worded so that the holster or device has some means to make easy pickings not easy.
By the way, EZ Pickens was Slim Pickens’ brother. He was also in the business but didn’t gain the fame of his brother. No joke.
Another main reason I like to have a good positive manual release of some kind on my holsters is children. When I first began to carry, I was talking with a local police officer who was toting a holster with two positive retention devices. We chatted about what we liked about the security of the holster. Her favorite feature was the security around children. Her job had her sometimes surrounded by many curious children. Children like to put their hands on interesting things.
She felt safe around the children with this holster. Also this lowers her stress level in a high stress job.
Smart officer.

1 Like

Appreciate it. Added one with a safety for those times I might need extra security measures. Lots of variety in my days, different situations. I gotta count my blessings.

1 Like

I don’t have a problem with open carry, but carrying in your pants without a holster?? That’s just stupid. And having your firearm cocked to boot?? That’s doubly stupid! That guy is asking for trouble. Besides, it can’t possibly be comfortable.

1 Like

There is also the minimalist holster approach. I am referring to the “sticky” holster variety. If properly sized to your firearm, they cover the trigger. Secured inside belted trousers or even a drawstring on a bathing suit or pair of sweats they stay in place. Two downsides, however. Once drawn the only way to re-holster is to remove the sticky, reinsert your handgun, and re-secure it in your trousers/shorts/whatever. Also, it has no active retention device. Overall for the price, very effective. I have one for each handgun I own - it also affords great protection from scrapes and scratches in your safe or a range bag.

1 Like

FWIW:
Massad Ayoob says:
The [Mexican Carry] term is not perjorative. It arose long ago among gun people. In homage to proud Mexican men of the 19th and early 20th centuries. Beset by trants who stripped them of liberties, including the right to carry guns if they were not part of the political elite, these defiant citizens… needed to be able to ditch the gun to be retrieved later if they were about to have contact with Federales , and since a holster could not be so quickly ditched and would be prima facie evidence of resistance to tyrants’ law, the holster was dispensed with.

• The Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry
1 Like

Really like my Sticky’s. Got one for each. Helps me even keep em stored at home, so they are always !00% trigger covered, never naked. Good for pocket, but outside of that I have other holsters, one for each situation/need.

Appreciate your post about safety, gonna buy one as gift for a relative in need. :grinning:

1 Like