Carry an extra or don't carry an extra mag, that's the question

Never ran into anyone who willingly carried a weapon plagued with chronic malfunctions before. Is that a thing where you’re from?

2 Likes

Ugh… that was hard to watch.

Never let them drag you out of the car.

3 Likes

I like having three “load cycles”; One set in the firearm, and two sets of spares on me, whether two spare sets when I carry revolver, or two more mags for when carrying semi-auto. It seems the Goldilocks sweet spot, not less, not more (for me). One firearm at a time, but with the semi, just thinking about having a back-up “arm” or not.

2 Likes

I carry a spare, and then the last resort😉

4 Likes

I have double mag holsters for every pistol I carry. Double or single stack. Overkill??? I HOPE SO!!!

8 Likes

@Randy50 Welcome to the community, we are glad to have you here. Stay safe, Bruce and Nancy. :+1:
Better to have it and not need it.

3 Likes

Welcome, it’s a great place, we don’t have to wear masks😀

5 Likes

I carry one extra mag with 12 rounds for my edc Taurus G2C with one hot. I carry a total of 25 rounds. If I ever need to pull my gun out I want to have backup if one mag don’t work. I also change out my mags every 2 weeks, why it’s also a good idea to have extra mags.

3 Likes

@Randy50.
Welcome to the community
Train Hard and Stay Safe.

2 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Randy50 and you are in the right place at the right time.

2 Likes

Always, in fact nowadays, I try to keep a long gun nearby, and 2 mags for it.

The concealed carry magazine a couple of issues ago featuring BJ Baldwin, and his dgu. Mr Baldwin is actually an acquaintance of a few of my friends, as I’m local, and had been in that scene in the past. He scored 10 hits on his attacker before the threat was stopped.

3 Likes

Either here or in some USCCA publication, I remember reading a statistic about the number of rounds typically fired before an incident concluded. It wasn’t very high. It’s rare that shots are fired. It’s even more rare that 30 shots are fired. (If you’re in a long, drawn out firefight and can’t escape, you’ll be glad you have those extra mags. You’d also better have a plan to let the police know you’re the good guy when they arrive.)

I guess it’s all about risk. We all live in different situations and we all have different risk tolerances. I can accept levels of risk that others here might not, and there are others here who can accept risks that I can’t.

Nothing wrong with carrying a spare mag. Nothing wrong with not carrying a spare mag.

But if you’re walking around like this guy, I’m probably not inviting you to my New Year party.

0506-il-duce-billy-connolly-boondock-saints-now-photos-768-launch-400x400

5 Likes

Yeah, that cigar smoke can get irritating :wink:

2 Likes