Carry an extra or don't carry an extra mag, that's the question

I always carry a extra mag never know what might happen or how many people may be there that gives me 25 shots if ne

3 Likes

Welcome to the family brother and you are blessed to be here.

3 Likes

Thank you glad to be a part of the community

3 Likes

I carry an extra mag. in case I have trouble with a gang and canā€™t escape or the first one fails.

3 Likes

Always a spare mag or reload. Multiple reasons to do so, many from training, few if any reasons not too. Makes it a very simple question for me, answered by, ā€œIf you can, you doā€. But if someone should choose not too, or, choose not to own a gun at all, Iā€™m not going to fault them for doing what works for them.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not a advocate of not carrying extra mags, far from it. Without going into detail my self defense prep is based on my estimation of risk of encounter. What I do in my home, is different from what I do in my motor home, which is different from my rural property, which is different from in my vehicles, etc. Here in the hot and humid south my normal dress is shorts and a t-shirt, so I carry a LCP. Because of where I live and my normal day to day activities I envision little chance of needing a firearm and a even much smaller chance of a encounter where I would find need for extra ammo. Note: I could be proven wrong one day I know, but I think the risk is very very low. I will say I do not remember ever reading about a self defense ā€˜gun fightā€™ where someone needed extra ammo (LE excluded of course). Iā€™m sure it has happened, but I have no idea how often. I must agree with what some have already said, itā€™s a personal choice. If none works, maybe 1 is better and 2 is better yet, ā€¦15 is even better, and so on.

3 Likes

@William220 What i care about most personally, and you have fully demonstrated, is that you have thought it through with your knowledge, experience, personal environment, and preferences. And you have come up with choices for your personal carry based on that. Even if my choice is not your choice, I still respect your choice, and I respect even more the work you put in to get there.

6 Likes

Yes. At lest 1 usually 2.

2 Likes

A friend had the same issue. He went to a used parts yard and bought a donut spate on a compatible rim for $50.

2 Likes

I usually carry two extra, mostly incase of mag malfunction. If Iā€™m carrying my Glock 36, Iā€™ll carry three extra since they are only six round magazines.

2 Likes

I carry a Steamlight Strion with a small flashlight holster. A great combo that I use everyday for something.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSU1FER/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TBAE8NA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

I came here looking for this exact topic. My question is how would having a spare magazine on you play out in court? Even if it is cut and dry self defense, civil case can still be brought against you or am I wrong? I just view it in two ways: 1) I donā€™t plan on being I a situation where I need to fire. 2) if I am in that situation, I doubt I will have the mental clarity to switch an empty 15 round mag for another one. If 16 hollow points donā€™t allow me to get out of the situation, Iā€™ve taken a SERIOUS wrong turn somewhere.

And I have seen video where a LEO is under fire and doesnā€™t reload. He just panicked and wasnā€™t able to think clear enough to reload his weapon. Personally, I donā€™t think I would be thinking clear enough to either.

That being said, I am thinking of a second one in the car all the same.

2 Likes

My view is if you need 30 rounds to defend yourself you need to either practice more at shooting or get in shape to run.

2 Likes

My response to that is, how do you know that it will only be 1 person that you have to confront?

2 Likes

Hey, Iā€™m not hacking on LE but there are many LEOā€™s who do not have intense training followed up with weekly practice. Itā€™s a muscle memory thing and you have to burn that process into your brain.

You donā€™t even have to discharge your firearm to practice your tac loading over and over.

2 Likes

Fizbin you make a good point. Practice, practice, and more practice makes a difference. I think my biggest concern is if I have an extra mag, even if just one shot is fired and is fatal (I know, Hollywood make believe, but for sake of argument letā€™s say it happens), would having a second mag be used in court against me? I can just image an attorney pointing that out and making a case that because I had more rounds on me, I was looking for trouble and came ready for it.

Or am I just overly paranoid?

I am about 99.9% sure I will never have to draw my gun, but that 0.1% is still there. And having to use it, only to have being prepared with a second mag used against me is one of my concerns.

2 Likes

Carry a revolver and u donā€™t have to worry about unending malfunctions!

2 Likes

Train like you are in a gun fight, including reloads after a round of fire with an empty mag.

2 Likes

Welcome to the family and you are blessed to be here.

1 Like

If the 2nd mag is not used during a self defense incident it should not come into play at all during court proceedings.

2 Likes