Cardiac stents and shooting

Getting three installed due to 80% blockage. I know there is a period of healing to prevent my artery being bleeding out where the catheter went in (right wrist) so I’m wondering how long it usually takes before I can safely visit the range and shoot----also is the stents themselves need to heal. I’m not to move my wrist or lift objects for several days, much less shoot a 1911. The carotid stent I got five yeas ago hasn’t caused any mischief—yet—but I’m not comfortable discussing firearms with the hospital staff because of the Health Care anti 2A questionnaire.
Has anyone had cardiac stents and what was your experience?

3 Likes

Stent by itself is not a contraindication. With a proper medical treatment you can do whatever your health allows you to do.
I was in that business long time ago, when stents were implanted via femoral artery. Patients had to stay in bed with compression wrapping for 24 hr (loosened for few minutes every 4 hrs). If I remember they were fully functional after week. If the “wrist method” were used, you should be good in one week for sure (if no complications are involved). Just do proper wound care and keep hygiene.

If you would like to talk with your doctor not mentioning firearms, just ask about dumbbell exercises.

That may be a great time for you to practice one hand shooting. (the other hand of course…)

4 Likes

If you would like to talk with your doctor not mentioning firearms, just ask about dumbbell exercises.

… or maybe hitting the punching bag…

6 Likes

Brother I pray for the supernatural healing of God upon you

6 Likes

Hope your recovery is a short journey. Get well and stay safe!

3 Likes

I agree something high adrenaline with some impact involved is a good way to describe it.

1 Like

Thank you all!

1 Like