Car/Truck Gun Application

I have noticed a number of threads mention car or truck guns. @Zavier_D just mentioned a Sig Rattler in 300BO in a post.

Could someone explain how these would be deployed and applied in a self defense scenario? It seems like they would be awkward to use quickly or effectively while seated in a vehicle. I am probably missing the whole point, but please help me understand.

Also, where do you carry these and how do you conceal them carrying to and from the vehicle?

Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

It really depends on what type of firearm we’re talking about. In one of those threads i mentioned wanting to use my AR pistol as a truck gun. For me it would be part of my “get home” bag. And by that i mean, if SHTF and I’m going to be stuck walking home I have something to defend myself with that’s effective against 2 or 4 legged predators. If it’s a regular handgun for self defense then there are plenty of options for mounts/holsters that are fast to use.

4 Likes

I only carry a “truck” gun in certain cases, long road trip where I’m not familiar with the roads. I also have when camping or other similar activities. The only time I have it locally is if there is potential for protests/riots.

3 Likes

@Gary_H

Mine would be more as a back up if I had time, or a fecal matter has hit the impellor blade scenario. I would want a lot more gun than a Glock 30 if I had a chance to get it and a need.

Like here at home, my Glock 30 is my EDC for home defense. But if I am given enough warning between alarm and dogs I am going to armor up and get guns better suited to home defense. While calling 911, and barricading ourselves in.

2 Likes

Convertible! 2 seater convertible at that. But I have a safe behind the passenger side seat.

1 Like

Same here, I take my 9mm AR, I’m getting a Hornady RAPiD safe AR locker for our suburban

1 Like

Bought one for my dually - now I just have to install it. Well, really its an overhead shelf for right above the windshield on the inside of the cab, and I’m going to figure out how to make it a rifle safe.

2 Likes

Double sided Velcro. That $h!t will hold anything down. Not the sticky backed stuff, the one with “hook” on one side and “loop” on the other. It comes in rolls up to 2" wide.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

@Gary_H Generally a “truck gun” is 1st referred to as a light handy rifle that is useful for taking out predators and such critters of opportunity. The 2nd part is more to your point. Generally inexpensive and very durable that can be mistreated a lot and still be functional.

In the “back seat” (I have an extended cab Ranger so that is a misnomer) there is a “cargo net” as part of the back carpeted wall. I have been “told” that you can cut the carpet around the cargo net ~12" x 40" 3/4 the way around to create a flap and attach hooks or straps to the actual cab of the truck to hold a particular bang stick.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

This is basically what I got. Apparently you used to be able to get this as a “gun shelf” with some sort of bracket, but now all you get is the shelf. I’ll adapt it :smiley:
https://www.carid.com/vdp/shelf-it-black-overhead-storage-mpn-sh2197.html

You can see the “gun shelf” application in this photo:

2 Likes