Car enthusiasts?

It is turbo, I am not a turbo fan, but I have to say it is a lot of fun to drive :+1: just have to adapt to left hand shifting

1 Like

Thanks man. Love the Camaro too. Car puts a smile on my face every time I’m behind the wheel.

1 Like

I miss those days, my daily driver tow vehicle does what I need it to, but does not put a smile on my face :frowning:

2 Likes

The notables I’ve had
81 C10 with a Pontiac motor. Had it in high school. It would outrun early 90’s 5.0 Mustangs.
1997 C1500-Lowered 3/5, on steel wheels with beauty rings and 255/60’s front, 275/60’s out back. Vortec 305 that was mildly tweaked. Shift kit. Regular cab long bed. Long and low.
03 S10 ZQ8-4.3, 3.42 gears. It handled great, and the 4.3 in a truck that only weighed 3400 lbs was pretty quick, if you could get off the line without blowing the tires off it.
And my current sled, 05 Z-71. All black, no decals. Aluminum 5.3(L33) with GTO heads, LS7 lifters, a Texas Speed oil pump, high flow cats, Magnaflow exhaust, Cold Air Induction and a little computer tweaking. One of these days, it’s getting a built trans, new crate motor, lift kit, and some 4.56 gears.

My goal is to eventually source a 73-87 K-20 and do a rest mod. I’m thinking built 6.0, mild lift, and paint and body to look like the Fall Guy truck.

4 Likes

Check 4wheelparts. They do front and rear diffs, install kits, and labor $1200. I had 4.88’s, front torsen, and rear Detroit installed there on my 04 Z.

2 Likes

There’s a local shop, near me, that is very good. They’ll be doing lift, gears, and a few other things.

2 Likes

The current sled is awesome man. Nice!

1 Like

I don’t know if they do engine or trans work…I did that myself, but they are good with diffs. A few friends have also gotten lifts there and are happy with them. :+1: You’re definitely going to need a programmer to calibrate the PCM, if you don’t already have one.

It’s showing it’s age. Like owner I guess. Here’s the email last time I took a picture of it. Dirty from deer hunting.

5 Likes

What it’s good at

4 Likes

My last project was an 04 Z71. Forged rotating assembly, studded and ported hot heads, cam, comp cams rockers, timing gear set, Texas speed pushrods, Ken Bell, hooker headers, flowmaster supper 44s , high volume oil pump, electric fan conversion, built trans and rebuilt trans case, lift with 37’s, 4.88’s, rear Detroit locker, front Torsen, heim joint tie rods, extended diff and trans vents.

4 Likes

@NickC - when I was out hunting, I had a chance at a 55 nomad (which would have been awesome!!) but it was way to rusted out. The guy I bought the bel aire from work outside in…all the paint was done…no interior or engine. for the same price as the nomad.

2 Likes

Man, those Nomads are bad ass and would absolutely love to have any year, 55, 56 or 57!

My idea of snow fun. Gotta do what you can to have fun in Minnesota in February.

https://youtu.be/oLMRaJLQubg

2 Likes

Here’s my Hot Rod

1977 Ford Ranchero, my first bought buy me car was a 77 T-Bird and I have been driving trucks ever since she went away so this was the perfect solution for me. Currently I am building a 357 Winsdor that will be putting out close to 400hp at the wheels. The new (A 95’ roller block) motor is currently at the machinist getting bored 0.030" over. I have an AOD transmission sitting on the garage floor that needs to be checked out by somebody that knows about slush boxes. Since the motor is out I’m also changing to a Hydroboost brake system out of an 04 Mustang which is taking some serous fab work. As a bonus with the 95 motor other than having a roller cam and serpentine belt the electrical system is getting a bump from 76 AMPS to a 150 AMP G3 alternator so now I will be able to have the headlights, windshield wipers and the heater on at the same time :flushed:

It’s been 37 years since I built a complete motor and I am SOOOOOOOO glad for the internet but at the same time I am saddened that all the old school mechanics are pretty much gone. I can remember clearly the gas station mechanic in my little sea side town that raced at Englishtown NJ and picking his brain for hours as my bud and I built a 69 GTO out of 7 wrecked cars at the junk yard off Highway 9 (Yes that HWY 9 that Bruce Springsteen made famous in the song Born to Run). It ended up with a 455, 4 speed and a 12 bolt posi in the back. That car was STUPID fast and drank gas by the gallon per minute and idled like the drum solo at the beginning of the VH song Panama. Yes I grew up in the 80’s and lived.

Cheers,

Craig6

7 Likes

Craig,
Looking good!

1 Like

I worked at a full service gas station in the early 80s and that was the time. All sorts of classic cars would come in. Dodge darts with a 340 6 packs, those 1976 Caddys with the 500 cubic inch engines, My boss had a Ford Galaxie 500 which was a rocket ship. those were the days.

1 Like

This is my first car - built March 18, 1965 - got it with ~20,000 miles on it. Never been wrecked, has original yellow QC stamps on paint job. Not real fast, turns 15’s at the track. I technically still hold the title, but I told my youngest if he could live to 25 it was his. He hit 25 six years ago, so he hauled it away to his house.

10 Likes

If I knew what it would be worth!

2 Likes

Guys all great stories and some beautiful looking hot rods. That Ranchero is very cool, although I was partial to the El Camino (being a Chevy guy). That is one outstanding Mustang and one lucky young man. Good stuff everyone.

6 Likes