Canine Burglar Alarm

You are virtue signaling. There is no if.

If you have done all of the things I have listed to gain entry to my property and my home. This is not a theory, this is my actual home security set up. You will have had to climb a fence, ignored all of the motion sensitive lighting, ignored multiple warning signs, defeated a minimum of 4-6 locks or broken a double paned storm window ( a non-trivial exertion), ignored a 100+ decibel siren from my alarm, overcome a K-9 certified dog, and then charged a drawn firearm. If that is not a definitive expression of a willingness to do whatever. I don’t know what is.

7 Likes

By my count anyone coming into my home has had 7 chances to have escaped the consequences of their bad decision to break into my home. I noticed you @Robert1246 have said you leave your home doors unlocked. So maybe in your mind there might be a gray area for an intruder, the people behind you are counting on you to protect them. If you don’t have the wherewithal to protect them. That’s on you.

I don’t have gray areas. If you have chosen to ignore all of the many warnings, you have shown your depraved indifference to and of my life. I’ve given you 6 opportunities to leave before you reach the last warning, which is me and my firearm. The people behind me are depending on me to be the last and final warning.

6 Likes

Like violence there is good violence and criminal violence. There is good virtue signaling and bad virtue signaling. I assure you I have good intentions. About the rest I wouldn’t do that unless I new your dogs and they new me. I love German Shepherds. I use to have one myself.

1 Like

I pray that you never have an encounter with a violent criminal; you and your family would not survive. And praying is difficult for me as a self-avowed Atheist and a non-religious person, but I do mean that most sincerely.

3 Likes

I don’t have it like that most people would not drive up my road. Right now because of snow my wife has to park almost 1/2 mile away. There are too many easier places to break in. Maybe it is just too difficult for me to imagine someone breaking in.

1 Like

Thank you I pray you never unintentionally shoot someone
Edit I hope you never unintentionally shoot someone

2 Likes

Of course not. I have mentally prepared and have had some experience, albeit, not armed with firearms, but I have been tested and passed - not having knifed anyone, either, as those were the times I was tested; not in my home state and/or abroad, not being able to carry, but knives. I do believe I would have similar reactions even if armed. In CBQ, I will likely draw a knife first, than my firearm - it has more avenues of attack and easier to defend than trying to draw a handgun that can only damage when the barrel is pointed at the perp.

3 Likes

When my incident happened I drew one of my karambits as I drew my firearm.

5 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly and, in addition, such actions could be indicators of someone on crystal meth which would make them an even more dangerous adversary. While they may believe they can fly like Superman, they actually DO have super strength, often requiring up to five LEO’s to subdue them. To say they can walk through bullets may be an exaggeration, but history has recorded that Hitler’s Storm Troopers (SS) were often high on meth to give them unwavering courage in battle.

My point is that one often doesn’t know what you are up against when an “imaginary” threat presents itself! LOL!!

4 Likes

Have this projected throughout your house blaring the audio, the meth intruder will probably be hiding in a closet.:grinning:

6 Likes

Tired of the argument. Just commenting on K-9 training. In case anyone is just asking for a friend.

My K-9 has a specific sleeping space, so that she has enough room and time to react to whatever stimulus, I also have a little yap dog in the room that alerts to anything out of the normal. When put on alert, a K-9 has been trained for it’s handlers and the handlers designees only. When my dogs are in public with me they wear a Do Not Pet/Working Dog vest and a muzzle.

3 Likes

As they often say, “The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.” One only has to look at the myriad examples of how the “good intentions” of government have screwed things up!

1 Like

Maybe that and a bowl of mixed edibles! Mushrooms and certain types of brownies. Probably would come out and see them laying on the floor with the munchies and tripping the lights fantastic.

3 Likes

Nice Trance beat.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen any government “good intentions” for over two years.

3 Likes

I hope I am not hijacking this thread. I realized why I couldn’t perceive a threat in this scenario it is because I can’t perceive the fight or flight response in my mind. I can do it in real life or at the range, but I can’t imagine it. I still can’t. Thanks to @Zavier_D , @Dave17 and @Glenn_A ’s persistence and trying to help me understand. It made me think real hard about it last night.

5 Likes

Self-centered, egotistical, narcissist maybe but definitely not virtue signaling

1 Like

@Robert1246 This is a personal comment from me to you, on why I believe so much pushback was given. It is not an attack, it is an explanation.

While your comments may appear to be reasonable to you, they are indicative of a broader underlying consensus by anti 2A/self defense rhetoric. The idea that using a firearm is morally repugnant until you are down and bleeding. The idea that pro 2A/pro self defense gun owners are trigger happy and just looking for a chance to flex.

For me that’s the issue. I have put a substantial amount of money and time into securing my home and my personage, which includes my family. Then have someone say, that was not enough. That all of the actions taken are still not enough. That it is morally superior to be a victim of a crime, rather than protect yourself and family.

That’s a problem.

4 Likes

I think it stems from a traumatic experience that happened to me as a child. I have been trying to recall the experience using EMDR with no luck.

The idea that using a firearm is morally repugnant until you are down and bleeding.

That is what I am saying. I can’t imagine the thought before being down and bleeding. I have seen it and reacted to it in real life situations and at the range. There is something stopping me from seeing it in the scenario.
I would have liked to send this as a PM but have not been able.

1 Like

Nice attempt at intervention, you’re a better man than I. :wink:

4 Likes